Author Topic: shingles virus  (Read 1583 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
shingles virus
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »
Found out yesterday I have the shingles......not fun.  Hope it doesn't get bad like some folks have had it.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Badger

Re: shingles virus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:49:01 pm »
  Beetle, I have had occassioanl outbreaks for several years. I am lucky where mine are very minor, usually no more than 3 or 4 little blisters. that disappear pretty quick, so it doesn't alwasy get that bad. It usually will stay confined to one particular nerve and follow that nerve.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »
Yay!  Chicken pox for grown-ups!   >:(

Good luck with 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 02:58:28 pm »
Ouch!  I feel for ya.  Grandma had a cure for them That was borderline voodoo.  It worked and they were gone the next day.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:38:44 pm »
My wife got shingles a few years ago and at first thought it was poison ivy. After a few days she went to the Dr but it was too late for the shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:29:57 pm »
My wife had it a few years ago and still has problems with her right arm. Good luck.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:02:36 am »
Ouch! I feel your pain. Not fun at all. There are good treatments available for outbreaks.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:21:23 am »

Sorry to hear that.  Try taking about 4-6,000 units of L-Lysine a day, and it should lessen the severity, and length of eruption.  Then take about two to three thousand units daily, and it should help in lessening the occurrences .  High doses of vitamin C, and about 3-4 thousand units of vitamin D3 with magnesium, to help absorb it, also helps in shortening the time it takes to run it's course.  Good luck with it.  Some people have it worse than others.  I hope yours is less. Be sure to wash your hands well after touching the area, as it is contagious when it is active, and can be transferred to different areas, since it, and Chicken Pox are in the Herpes virus  family.   Again, be careful with it, and I hope it does not last long, and is minor in it's outbreak.

Wayne 

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:24:11 am »
I am lucky so far not to have any bad lesion or pimples with it......hope it stays mild.  The Doc gave me a shot and put me on some antivirals.  Mostly just tired and have some headaches....and not to mention the pain and irritation in the areas it is affecting.

Thanks folks.

James
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »
Sorry to hear that!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei