Author Topic: NO DICE YET  (Read 2840 times)

Offline crooketarrow

NO DICE YET
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »
  Our gobber season came in MONDAY there in WV . way to much rain and wind for me with the whole seasons ahead of me.  Saw 4 gobblers Tue but the close any came was maybe 65 ,70 yards.
  But WED morning I had 8 birds gobbleing around the wood line as well as a couple jakes trying to join in. Wasn't long and I had 9 long beards and 10 jakes around the pasture field. When quite a few hens I did'nt count them but at least a dozen.
  By 9:00 when the party broke up I had,had 3 different gobblers come to me all 3 and 4 year olds. 1 STRUTED for a good 20 min's at 25 yards. Little far BUT if he's been to my right whereI could have turned a little I WOULD HAVE.  The other 2 birds moved past me around 28, 30 yards. Just not where I needed for them to be. That ties a morning I had last spring where I saw 19 gobblers in the same field.  3 Times the jakes wee fighting. Jakes fight everyday to keep there pecking order in line.
 I'll try again tomorow.
  All 3 were easy shot gun range but no dice.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: NO DICE YET
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
Nothin' funnier than watching jakes or gobblers fight.  Eventually they get so winded that they stop fighting just so they can wheeze and look at each other.  Give'em a sexy hen yelp and they are back to fightin' in the wink of an eye! 

Sounds like you had a good morning.  Turkey hunting is a game of numbers, put in enough bids and one of 'em has to pay off eventually!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
Sounds like you're in the right area.....keep on trying.  Hope they get closer to you!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
I have never had a morning near that full of birds. Sounds like a ton of fun just watching them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:27 am »
  Hunting farm gobblers are a little different than hunting mountain birds. There way more visable and know how to use those fields. It's alot harder to move on them and 100 yard move can be a mile.
  I set up on 2 gobblers that been together since day one. Never seen them with a hen both have 100 inch beards. I saw there 4 or 5 year olds. The one I call BIG RED hes the most red tint I've even seen and hes 23 24 pound a couple pounds bigger than his buddy.
   I've set up on these 2 birds 8 or 10 times. Yesterday mornings the first time I had them close enough for a bow shot. I shot through his fan at 22 ,23 yards. He came to my right and I had to stwist around at the draw. And shot 4 or 5 inchs high to the right.
  2Days ago I had my youngest son BRIER we had them 40 ,45 yards he's mad at me fro not letting him try one with his 20 ga. But it was alittle to far for a 20.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:25 am »
 Good Luck, hope you get your shot. We are in the final weekend here in Ohio. I had some within around 50 yards but couldn't pull them in. They have diappeared and I haven't even heard a turkey since!
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »
Good luck and hope you get the one with the 100" beard. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?