Author Topic: Shorty Hickory Molle  (Read 13073 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Shorty Hickory Molle
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:49 am »
Artwork that little beast. Great design and execution.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »
Sweet work man! 8)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Ambow

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »
I've never commented on these boards nor have I ever built a bow.  Just been lurking and trying to learn as much as possible before I start.  But this bow is absolutely amazing!  I hope to have half the skill/artistry that it took to create this bow one day.

-Ryan

Offline rps3

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »
Great looking bow. How do you keep those ultra thin tips from bending sideways? Do the string and limbs need to be in perfect alignment to avoid that problem?

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »
Wow! I'm very impressed. That's one great looking bow!

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
Good tiller and nicely executed design. I would say though that you could remove about 1/3 of the thickness of the tips and really help to speed it up. I've made lots of these bows and you might be surprised by how little 'extra' thickness you need. Remember that if you increase thickness by only 1/8th you double the draw weight.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »
That is one amazing piece of hickry!  Love the simple finish and the natural beauty of the wood.

Did you use a board for this or a decrowned stave?  Never tried a molly, but that makes me want to!

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »
Good tiller and nicely executed design. I would say though that you could remove about 1/3 of the thickness of the tips and really help to speed it up. I've made lots of these bows and you might be surprised by how little 'extra' thickness you need. Remember that if you increase thickness by only 1/8th you double the draw weight.

Ditto what mike said....ive made a bunch too and its only normal to make them either too wide or too deep(or both) your first go along with the lever bows....i went thru a progression with them just to see how far(thin,narrow,n shallow depth)i can go with them,and just by sight of pictures alone you could easily reduce depth of thickness from them without costing any durability issues,and only gain better performance than it already is.....the lever bows are addicting to me because of exactly what you stated in its smooth to draw and release yet hits hard....make another one ;)....and maybe play with your working limb to lever ratio and go longer on the levers like 50/50 ;)....thats as far as i have gone and soon ill be trying even more like 60/40....it looks like yours is about 30/70(meaning a third of your limb is a lever).....im sure it still shoots well as is tho ;)

Offline country

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 03:14:57 pm »
NICE.... definately a piece of art

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »
Very very cool. That is one nice bow.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:10 pm »
very nice bow!

Jon

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »
That is a very nice looking bow.  I like it a lot.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 11:12:55 am »
Thanks again for all the kind comments, gents :)  I built a few bows with brush nocks (see pic below for reference) and invariably get the same question about hand shock with those bows as I have with this one.  You would be very surprised with the performance of this bow...I know I was.  Those levers may fool you (just as brush nocks often fool people) into assuming there must be bone-jarring shock upon release.  IF I use a proper arrow (i.e. not too light) and a properly aligned draw/release, it's as smooth as butter.  I found that when I go below 8 gpp in arrow weight, hand shock suddenly appeared.  I found the same when I got tired and lazy, letting my alignment go to pot.  However, the latter two scenarios happen on almost all of my bows.   

As I was constructing it, I did some geometric calculations and found that the levers contain LESS wood than if I had finished the bow along a traditional pyramid side and back profile.  That one got me thinking! :)  Could they be thinner?  Absolutely yes!  But man, are they narrow!  As such, I left some meat there just in case I have one of those "oops" moments in the woods  ;)

Oh, and as a secret...this one started with a 60/40 ratio between the limbs and levers...until the accident.   :o  We won't talk about that, though!   

Thanks again for the comments and critique, all. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:21:06 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:32 am »
rps3:  Sorry...forgot to answer your question.  The levers are trapezoidal in cross section.  That keeps them rigid enough to avoid bending sideways.  Regarding string alignment, I found this bow (next to my first few English style longbows) to be the hardest to maintain proper alignment.  Whether it was this particular design or the specific piece of wood I was using, it seemed that none of my tricks would work.  In the end, I think I just got lucky, 'cause I certainly couldn't figure it out!  :)  But to answer your question, string alignment is very important, not only at brace, but throughout the draw.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »

Oh, and as a secret...this one started with a 60/40 ratio between the limbs and levers...until the accident.   :o  We won't talk about that, though!   

Oh please do ;)