Author Topic: String Question  (Read 3325 times)

Offline gudspelr

String Question
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:38 am »
I just started filing in my string grooves on my first self bow and wanted to double check something with you guys.  The distance between nocks (to the outer most portions of the grooves) is 66".  I'm planning on ordering a 63" string-please correct me if that's not right.  Also, how many strands and what type of material should I get?  It's HHB and I'm hoping to get it in the 40-50 pound range.  I also plan on putting tip overlays, most likely antler.  The only strings I am familiar with are Flemish-not sure I've ever even seen an endless loop or if I'd know the difference if I had.

And one last thing-how long do you guys make your tillering strings and how many strands of what material?  Im planning on getting one of those, too since all I currently have is some 550 cord.

Thanks for helping another newby.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:00:02 am by gudspelr »

mikekeswick

Re: String Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01:56 am »
Don't buy strings! Make your own! If you can make a bow  - you can certainly make a string.
General rule of thumb is your string needs to be 4 times the bows draw weight. 50lb bow = 200lb breaking strain string.
Most strings are massively overbuilt - especially commercially available ones.
Dacron B50 breaks at around 30 - 35lbs    so 7 strands is fine for a 50lb bow
Fastlight (dyneema) breaks at more like 70 - 80lb so 5 strands is plenty.
Making your strings like this saves a lot of string weight and improves cast significantly, it also means a spool goes a long way.
I use 16 strands of dacron for my tillering strings.
Volume 2 Traditional Bowyers Bible has an excellent chapter on making strings - well worth the asking price!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:25 am »
Like Mike says.  :)
It's easy enough to make a string making jig too, I made one from some old Dexion angle steel shelving and a couple of fence wire strainers.
If you make your own, they'll never be the wong length either O:) ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »
Hmmmm...now you've got me wondering.  I know B50 stretches more than fast flight, but the latter can cause damage to a bow if not built strongly?  Is there anything in particular that can be done when building a bow so that it would be fine to use fast flight or would it just be a better bet to go with B50?  I started looking on 3Rivers and looks like they have some great reviews on the B50.  Maybe I'll get some 1/4 pound rolls.  What size and kind of serving material do I want and which serving tool?  Looks like there are quite a few different options...

Thanks for the encouragement to make my own, I think I might just do It.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:53:38 pm by gudspelr »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:56:18 pm »
I use B 50. I started trying FF for tillering only. I ended up splitting the nocks on a red oak bow. I don't do overlays unless I have to. Well I had to on this bow. LOL. Superglue and overlays fixed the split nock. I make my own Flemish Twist. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »
I'm with mikekeswick, making the strings is one of the easiest aspects of this art to learn. Quick ,easy rewarding and will save you bags of money! you can practice your technique with any type of string if your worried about screw ups but I think you'll find that by the third or fourth attempt that there is nothing intimidating at all.There was a very good tutorial in the last issue of PA. Its as simple as it looks.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:42 am »
Don't believe that nonsense about fastflight damaging bows....it doesn't! Linen has very similar stretch and nobody has ever said that d%*"m linen string just broke my bow.....

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05:01 am »
  Your right MIKE I've shot fast flights on dozzens of my selfbows with out over lays. Many 1000's and 1000's of times. I've never saw any bad effects.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  I've decided I'm going to make my own strings-doesn't look like rocket science and cheaper in the long run.

I also think I've decided to try fast flight over the Dacron, but there seems to be a LOT of choices in material, D97, FF, etc....  Really not certain which to choose along with which serving and which size of serving.  For endless loop, should I use a different serving around the loops than for the center?

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  I've decided I'm going to make my own strings-doesn't look like rocket science and cheaper in the long run.

I also think I've decided to try fast flight over the Dacron, but there seems to be a LOT of choices in material, D97, FF, etc....  Really not certain which to choose along with which serving and which size of serving.  For endless loop, should I use a different serving around the loops than for the center?

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy
Keep it simple, I bought the cheapest reel I could find, Angel Majesty, might not be cheapest per metre, but it was the cheapest reel. I use the same serving for loops and centre, I usually lay in a couple of extra strands at the loops and if necessary at the centre too to get a good fit on the arrow nocks.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:16 pm »
mikeswick: "Don't believe that nonsense about fastflight damaging bows....it doesn't."
Yes, it does and it did for me.
Don't believe the nonsense that it doesn't unless you do an overlay and perhaps pad the string loops.

:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:27:16 pm »
I'm planning on both padding the loops as well as tip overlays.  On the current bow, I'm planning antler overlays to go with an antler arrow shelf, if that isn't the direction I go, it'll be some hardwood.  Thanks again, looks like I'll be putting in an order later today to get on to building strings :).

Jeremy