Author Topic: I hate it when this happens!  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Josh B

I hate it when this happens!
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:58:57 am »
I just needed one more tiny flake to even out the notches! But oh no! Busted the entire ear off. >:( >:( >:(  Oh well, I guess.   Josh

Offline Tower

Re: I hate it when this happens!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:17:25 am »
If I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me I'd be a lot better off. My only advise is pay close attention to centerline & pressure. If it donfeel right. Don't force it!! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
I gotta bunch of "Ears" sitting out on my tarp.  :'(  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline chertle

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:50:27 am »
That really stinks.  I worked much rock but I am learning that you almost wanna cry when that happens. :'(
Leslie
Indiana

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:17:54 am »
That happened to me quite often.  I feel your pain.  I did notice that when I started using a hard rubber pad with buckskin over it to hold the point on, the broken ears happened less.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:03 am »
Lemonaid from lemons sir! a little modification and you have a nice mini corner tang knife. 8)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »
 :( keep on knappin!!  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »
I've got a box of those.  Sometimes I'll dig them out and rework them into other arrowheads...it's a lot faster than starting from scratch.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
You are certainly not alone! Here's some i've pecked on recently. Some small slabs bubby sent me. You'll note that more than half of them have tip, ear, or entire corners missing. lol... Lemonaid from lemmons? that's a pretty good fit here :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 12:46:21 am »
I need to make me one of those rubber pads.  I've just been holding them in my hand with a small piece of leather.  It's far to easy to put pressure in exactly the wrong spot. 

Cowboy-  Man, your broken points are way better than the best point I ever made.  Of course my best point is not exactly a high standard to meet.   Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:26:43 am »
You are certainly not alone! Here's some i've pecked on recently. Some small slabs bubby sent me. You'll note that more than half of them have tip, ear, or entire corners missing. lol... Lemonaid from lemmons? that's a pretty good fit here :).

Paul, you should'a walked around your point landing area out in the driveway to get a picture.  I don't know how many I saw out there.  What kept those broken ones in the picture from being flung??? :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:14 am »
Keep on a knappin Josh! Like i always say - tonnage will get ya there but no matter how long you work at it or how good you become you'll still break something now and then..
 George: a couple of them that broken perfectly in half are laying around the yard but for the most part i can fix these. Didn't want to give up on this exotic rock too easily..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:43 am »
I'm sure you'll make beauties from those.  I picked up at least one half point at CP and made a point from it too.  I never pass up a chance to make a point, though if I'm the one who broke it I might wait a day to grieve first. :(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:19 am »

You mean you aren't supposed to break the ears off?! :o
     Crap! :P  Now I have something else I can't do! :(  Hmmmm, rimless cartridge casings, ....... aha! ;D  Ear less arrowheads!  Problem solved. ;)  That was easy! 8) I usually just fling them against the house, and if they don't shatter into multiple pieces, I will salvage them later.  My notching sucks!  Well, I guess it is only logical since my knapping pretty much sucks also. :(  But I am improving, I don't cut myself as much, or as bad as I used to.  A piece of obsidian, I had in the joint of my left big toe, finally worked it's way out, after about a year.  I didn't think it was going to, but finally.  I have pretty much given up on making deep notches.   Dang, Cowboy, I would love to dig in your fling pile! ;)  Those are nice, i agree with George, I would be glad to be as poor a knapper as you! ;)

Wayne