Author Topic: Accidental Flute  (Read 1279 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Accidental Flute
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:31:15 am »
I was working on a big preform and snapped it in 1/3...2/3 pieces trying to thin the base a little.  So, I took the larger piece and worked it into a point, practicing with the ishi stick.  The still thick base gave me a lot of trouble and I ended up with a stepped island about a quarter inch off the base of the point right in the center.  I rolled the edge to that side, ground it a little and took a whack at it with indirect trying to get under that island...

I'll bet when I finally do a point where I want to do that I won't have a prayer of doing it.

I decided to go ahead and finish it with the ishi and work on getting some longer flakes.  It came out as good as any I've ever pressure flaked to completion.  2" long and 135gr.  I had hoped to get another good flake out of each notch but stalled one of them.

Sadly, the other side did not turn out as well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Accidental Flute
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:58 am »
Looks nice George!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:25:55 am »
George sometimes accidents are the best thing that could have happened to in the reduction stage. Love the point your really progressing.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:41 am »
Looks like you have a prime shooter there, Nice !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:47 am »
Looks GREAT Sir!! You are getting that stick stuff!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:48 am »
Thanks guys.  Don, I think this was a chunk from your pickup.  It worked great and I was really pleased with my percussion thinning...right up to where I broke it.  Didn't give up though, and used the bopper right up to where I could do the ishi.  Really good practice.  Should have watched your notching closer.  Making a little progress though and that was heartening.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:17 am »
George, i don't know how many points i've accidentally fluted during the reduction stages. Now if i could just do that on a clovis without snapping it. Good practice and amazing when you can knock off a island or stack like that. You've got some fine looking flake scars going on there! Pressure flaking - here we go....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.