Author Topic: losing spine on arrow shafts?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
losing spine on arrow shafts?
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:31 am »
Hello I'm wondering here and hope maybe someone has experienced it whether in time by impacts of the arrow whether a shaft can lose its spine from fatigue or whatever.I'm talking wooden arrows here,and also whether two splice footing a wooden shaft with denser wood was a remedy for this in the old days.Other than increasing front end weight and looks etc.I'm usually shooting bamboo or cane and have made some spruce arrows with osage two spliced footings.They shoot great so far after bare shaft tuning and finished etc.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

Re: losing spine on arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
  I've made and shot  1000's and 1000's of dowls and shoot arrows  for 0ver 30 years. And if the woods seasoned They wont change spine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »
I agree with crooket. 
  I believe footings were inplimented to fix broken arrows to begin with. Today they are used for decoration , repairing arrows and adding werght forward.
  I've only had one arrow loose spine and that was a sourwood shoot arrow that hit a hard object head on. The arrow didn't break but it would not fly well no matter what. It looked like a windmill going down range. I refletched it, changed the cock feather orentation and anything I could think of but it never flew well again. That loss of spine was from one trama and not over time.
  With arrows as with bows there is a difference between dry wood(or cane) and seasoned wood with the latter being preferable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »
Thanks fellas.I was alerted to this question from another bow hunter who shot nothing but carbides.I sure like the way mine fly and impact.I'll see if they can withstand all of the abuse my bamboo shafts take.I have some doubts.It's just nicer shooting eqipment you make for yourself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed