Author Topic: "Ekwos" New Hornbow Pics (Tool Pics added on pg.6)  (Read 43747 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: New Hornbow Pics
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 12:30:33 pm »
Sweet looking bow,congrats to Dad on a mighty fine looking job. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

huntersim

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 12:44:40 pm »
Neat bow, he did a good job.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:20:58 pm by huntersim »

Tilbilly

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 01:58:59 pm »
Ya the cane is kinda interesting thing too. We're in southwestern Ontario, and there's no such thing as cane here. He ordered it online a few years ago from someplace in B.C. Cane, giant 'boo, and another kind I forget. It all needs to be covered in mulch and plastic sheeting to make it through our winter. This year the cane sent up a few shoots just large enough for arrows. Next year maybe I'll see Dad flinging a few of those. Just a matter of keeping the cottontails away from the tender young shoots. The giant 'boo is doing well and can stand cold to -20C, but it will never get thick enough 'round here to use it for backing a bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
Tilbillly
There's a place around Orillia that has started selling Bamboo. I'll stop and see them the next time I am down that way
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

a finnish native

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 07:16:03 pm »
how long did it take for him to make this bow? and how many layers of sinew did he apply? how long drying periods? sorry for all the questions ::)
Very nice work. I have shot one of those monstrers once. I have to say that the are FAST. I mean about 250 fps!

Tilbilly

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »
Marc, been admiring your work for quite some time. I'll click the email button a little later to ask a few 'boo questions.

Got an email from Pa just after lunchtime. Gave me flack in a comical way for drawing attention to him  :D  It's the kinda guy he is. He/Ma are visiting people today, so I,m hoping he gets on the 'puter tonight and tells a little more than I'm capable of. I do know the bow has been worked on, on/off for a year or more. There's drying time for sinew, wife going through hip replacement, grandkids being dropped off for unpaid babysitting.... retirement's a busy time LOL!

Also, these bows require projects within the project. For example, he made a tool from hardwood(got pics Dad?)  that allows for a firm wrapping of the cord (pic above). That tool works so well that if you aren't careful it will crush your project. He found plans for, and made , a board with several pegs and holes that allows you to pull back the limbs to various stages of brace so you can inspect the tiller as well as string the beast more easily. You can't use a twist string on these bows, so I pointed out a nifty set of plans on another website for making an endless loop string. So he made all that, too. And now I have a source for endless strings heh heh.

I'd try to answer more questions but I'll wait to see if Pa starts posting. Maybe tonight? I'm not even sure what handle he is registered with on here. He did say in his email that he shot the bow more today and loves the smooth draw and quietness. He's using a ring and says no armgaurd needed that way, just like people claim.

Might have to put in my order for one. I have an SKB 50 I pull out once in awhile but shoot it fingers.
No problems in the past but lately I've developed a sore knuckle from the string angle. I'm turning 40 this winter, that's why  :(  So it's either learn the ring, or see about a longer bow in this style?
O.K. 'nuff 'bout me. Where's Pa?  ;D

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 11:23:29 pm »
Tillybilly, you are going to get tons of questions to relay through your dad, so have him come on if he can :) I've got one of these bows on the blocks, my osage core is finally finished, and I had to rescue some sinew from my pug today. Just finding the time is so hard anymore. An excuse, eh? Frank (medicinebow) also has one of these bows in the works, as well.

What I'd be most interested in is dimensions, including thickness of sinew layer, thickness of wood core, ear dimensions, what kind of horn he used, and overall length of bow.

Thanks,
Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 11:28:55 pm »
Very nice bow ,your dad is talented.Looking forward to more pictures and details ,myself.
Thanks for posting it.

Ralph
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:41:47 pm by welch2 »

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »
That's a beauty, I hope to get there some day, but I think it'll be a while.  :P
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2007, 01:00:29 am »
Where's Pa?Right here ,son.Hi everyone , guess I'll have to chime up now since Tilbilly posted the hornbow pics.The whole thing is really not all that hard,just a lot of fiddling around.
I believe Tilbilly Thinks that I made several attempts with the project but this is still my one and only
hornbow.Made a few corrections along the way,all needed because of my ignorance,but the bow survived.  The core is five pieces of white ash, handle , two arms and two siyahs/tips.All v spliced.
Belly covered with waterbuff horn from good old Peter Cua and theback is deer sinew.Used Knox gelatine as glue on everything.Dimentions are a bit vague right now but I've got another one on paper all dimentioned out.It will be a couple of inches shorter than this one ,present one being 48" nock to nock along the belly.
Thickness of horn is appr. 3/16" , wood is about the same and overall thickness of the arms is .600" tapering to .500" at the start of the siyahs.That sinew is plenty thick.Width is appr. 1 1/4" mostly parrallel with the last 2" tapered to 1" at the base of the tips.Any details or what ever you all want to ask , don't be shy like me.Guys, thank you for all the positive comments,it means a lot.And thanks Tilbilly,son.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:05:59 am by Ekwos »

a finnish native

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 04:48:25 am »
could we maybe get some detail photos of the handle area, midlimb and the tips? it would mean a lot. thanks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 07:27:22 am »
Heck of a a way to make an appearance Ekwos, or should we just call ya Pa ;D That sure is one
heck of a bow you built and I'm sure the guys are going to have more questions.
Welcome aboard.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Tilbilly

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:58 am »
Now I can sleep better tonight  ;D  8)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:44 pm »
Did you groove the horn and the core prior to glue up?
And do you have any close up pictures of the handle and siyahs ?

Ralph

Offline Ekwos

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 02:18:15 pm »
Tilbilly must have gone back to bed.Sent him some pics of the bow's start.There are more,just what you asked for Finish Native.The whole thing took 2 years but total hours are not that bad,maybe 40 hrs . In general there are about 6 layers of sinew on the arm area.More at the grip fade area.That needs a good buildup . There is a bit of a buildup at the siyah area along the sides to make that a more or less triangular cross section.Going to try and make that lighter on the next one.Looking for Tilbilly to send in some pictures so there can be some more comments. Pa