Author Topic: peace pipe project(found gold)  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Josh B

peace pipe project(found gold)
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:21:20 pm »
I've been working a piece of soapstone into a peacepipe bowl today.  I noticed a lot of black sand inclusions in the material and thought that was pretty cool.  Then I flipped the piece over and low and behold, a little gold inclusion right on the tip!  I had to alter the intended design to leave it in place, but I figured that was good mojo.  No matter how goofy the pipe looks.  Josh

Offline sonny

Re: peace pipe project(found gold)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
cool pipe.
be sure to post some pics when it's done!

it'll darken some when you apply a finish won't it ??

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
That piece is anything but "goofy", it's gonna be killer Josh
rich

Offline Kullas

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »
That is a good looking pipe will be nice to see it done keep up the good work

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »
Got the bowl finished out and beeswax heated into.  I'd consider that a bit darker with the finish.  The cool part is that the dust from working this stuff turns the same deep black when mixed with egg whites.  Since I managed to save about a pound of the dust, I'm setting pretty good for natural black pigment.  Now, on to the hard part...... the stem.  Thanks for the kind words! Josh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:58:02 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »
Where is the pic. Of yhe gold tip after the new color? That thing is looking good >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:30 am »
That's sweet,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:24 am »
Thanks Pappy!  Here's your pic Soy.  Josh

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:45 pm »
looks real good should be a good smoker. ive made a few pipes a couple weeks ago. I need to try this soapstone ive just been using wood and burning designs in the wood with a red hot wire heated over a fire or camp stove
Modern Day Tramp

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
Cool stuff.  I have made a number of stone pipes over the years.  Currently, I am working on doing some Great Lakes NDN styled cherry burl pipes.  I have two carved out but need to pour the bowl liner with pewter.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:02:17 am »
Thanks for the kind words!  You got any pics of these pipes?  I like seeing other pipe makers work.  It's amazing how much variation can be found in hand made pipes.  I bet cherry burl is beautiful.  Never made one of those.  Josh

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:06 am »
Here are just some I have made (I will take photos of the burl stuff when I get a couple done)...

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:11 pm »
Very nice work!  My favorite is the beaver efigy.  The face is cool, but I think I'd get a complex  with such a stern expressioned face looking at me while I smoke.   ;D. Can't wait to see your new works.  Josh

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »
Very nice work!  My favorite is the beaver efigy.  The face is cool, but I think I'd get a complex  with such a stern expressioned face looking at me while I smoke.   ;D. Can't wait to see your new works.  Josh

Thanks...  If you like that beaver, wait and see the burl one I have started.  As for the face, there are some REALLY cool historical examples of pipes with faces like that.  Some even have pierced ears with real silver earring put in them and there are a few examples of ones with holes in the mouth so they "smoke" with you.

Isaac
Aldo Leopold