Author Topic: Degreasing ipe?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Degreasing ipe?
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:00:19 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I have a piece of ipe that I want to glue up and I have never done this before... I see a lot of people saying they degrease the ipe with acetone before gluing up. Does regular denatured alcohol work as well for this? How about 100% alcohol wipes? I just don't want to have to go buy acetone if I don't have to.... Any help would be great,

Jon

Offline darwin

Re: Degreasing ipe?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »
I work with both on a daily basis at work (i'm a lab rat) acetone dissolves organic compounds like oil much better than denatured alcohol, its not to expensive either, but your call

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:52:46 pm »
Denatured alcohol works as well, while alcohol wipes do not. Those wipes have too little solvent to dissolve all the oils present on the wood.

Many people do not degrease ipé. It´s certainly not necessary. What glue do you use? Many glue will be just fine with a freshly sanded surface. Do wipe off all the dust, though.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:37 pm »
I plan to use TB3... I might go buy some acetone just to be safe...

Anyone else have any input?

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:42 pm »
i allways wipe mine down with acetone Jon, but i wipe down most everything that i laminate, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »
I just did an hbi that i cleaned the ipe with denatured alcohol. That's what adb used in his hickory backed osage build a long. I wasn't sure what else to use, but so far, it's holding up!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »
I have never degreased any wood for any reason and never had an issue. Ipe, osage, sinew/hide glue, bamboo and whatever else I have glued together. This is just my way, doesnt make it the only way.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:41:54 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
I've heard that acetone will draw more oils to the surface as it evaporates but I don't know this as fact. I used denatured alcohol for degreasing other woods. It is relatively cheap and not as toxic as acetone. I do use acetone also on other projects.
  Like Pearlie, you might be better off with a freshly sanded glue surface. TBIII likes smooth, well mated surfaces for the best bond. No gaps!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »
Okay then I may just go with what i have and use denatured alcohol..

Thanks.

Jon

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:10:06 pm »
I would go with what you got too. As in a damp cloth to reove dust and that's it. You can not degrease Ipe in my opinion. I just burned some really thin scrap pieces that were 3 years old at least. You should have seen all the oil come bubbling out.
I have glued up quite a few ipe bows witth tb2 and 3 with no delaminations ob clean joints.
Just another opinion, based on doing.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »
No delaminations either here with just wiping the back before gluing with tb3.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.