Author Topic: need tillering help!  (Read 3964 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: need tillering help!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »
The picture really helps you see where you need to work doesn't it?  Del makes a great point about marking the limb where you don't want to remove wood.  I write a big NO everywhere I need to avoid and then diagonal lines everywhere I want to remove wood.  Then  I take the diagonal lines out with the draw knife, rasp or scraper (depending on how close to the final draw weight I am).  No matter how you identify it, don't touch where the limb bends too much.  Jawge and Del have given great advice.  Follow it and you'll make a good bow. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline darwin

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 01:07:47 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 11:49:58 am »
My take, left limb, bending very little from mid limb to the handle, need to get that area working.

Right limb, hinged about 8" in from the tip, bad, bad,bad.

Make one of these.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047;p=0

Set  the pencil depth on hinge on your right limb, use the same setting on both limbs, don't readjust it until it stops marking anywhere on both limbs. You are going to drop some serious poundage getting the limbs bending correctly but you will learn a lot in the process.

Offline darwin

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01:16 am »
Thanks everyone for their help I'm almost finished tillering now I've gotten rid of the hinge and both limbs are drawing close to equal with the future bottom limb being slightly stiffer I will post a pic when I finish up tonight