Author Topic: Whooohooo.. just caught a 30lb snapper!  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Whooohooo.. just caught a 30lb snapper!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »
I looked up the regs, out of curiousity.  Guess it's cool to harvest.  Congrats.
1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »
  Parnell, the common snapper and the alligator snapper are quite a bit different. What he has is a common snapper, a very large full grown adult. I don't believe they are in any kind of risk at becomming rare. I am kind of a turtle lover myself.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »
 Im a turtle soup lover! Badger what woudl you guess its age at? 30-50 maybe?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:20 pm »
I hate to see turtles hit on the road.  They don't have a chance.  I hope I never see someone hit one on purpose  >:(   But, if I find one that's already dead, then I try to save it's skull.  I have no problem with someone legally taking them to eat.  I don't eat them so I don't kill them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »
  I looked it up, they get bigger than I thought, up to 85# and live about 40 years. Yours must be about 15 roughly.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »
yea i eat them when i catch them the limit here in Virginia is 5 a day. i have actually seen an alligator snapping turtle in a local zoo about an hour from here that weighed 300lbs and was 150 yrs, old it was incredible. My wife told be to never bring anything that big back home lol.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »
Snappers are real predators.  We had a 3 acre pond and they are a serious threat to anything that swims.  We had a wood duck take 19 ducklings down to the water and between the turtles and the bass there were 3 left the next day and none left the following day.  Most any evening I could sit on the deck and see a half dozen pop their heads up every half hour or so.  To put a bass on a stringer was to feed a snapper there.  Most people never see them, but there are a lot more of them around than you think.  Interestingly, while I've seen lots and lots of adults, I've only seen 2 juveniles.  I don't know where they go until they reach adulthood.  The largest I've seen in the wild was 25lbs and I found it on the road.  Most are between 10 and 20lbs.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:55 am »
Growing up in Illinois, I saw both, I'm thinking.  Saw many a duckling, gosling, whatever baby swans are, taken down.  We'd find them in drainage ditches, and yards.  In the morning dew you'd see their wide trails going from the pond in our backyard to the lake across the way.  I had a buddy who found a dead alligator snapper in his lake.  It was a monster, I recall.  When they cleaned up the animal they found a musket-ball inside, under the shell.
1’—>1’