Author Topic: Flemish twist or endless loop??  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Flemish twist or endless loop??
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:55:30 pm »
Hey guys, got a question for ya (or actually more of an opinion poll).  I've been making flemish twist strings for all my bows so far, but it seems to me that endless loop strings would probably be a lot easier and quicker to make.  But since I've never made one before, I'd like to hear some opinions on what you guys use and why you choose that type of string.  Thanks.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Flemish twist or endless loop??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:33 am »
Immediately after posting this I did a search and found this topic has been brought up several times before.  You'd think a guy that's been around the forum for a couple years would have figured out how to use the search function by now  ::)

Well I guess there's always room for fresh opinions :)  Seems like the time you save making an endless loop string is spent serving the loops.  I guess there's only one way to find out!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:35 am »
I like the endless loop strings.  Once you get the serving figured out, they aren't bad.  If you are going to make them, you should probably make some sort of a jig.  I made mine with a 2x4, 2 shelf brackets, and some bolt eyes. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:48:27 am »
How about a pic, OO?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:53:48 am »
I started my string making years ago by making endless. Flemish are easier and more fun for me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »
What Jawges said.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:50:34 pm »
Us old guys all feel about the same!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
I got a few lessons on flemish twists while I was at the Classic.  Hopefully I can figure them out soon. 

Anyway, here is my set up for making endless loop strings.  I can adjust it easily to different lengths and I can really pre-stretch a string with it.  I have holes drilled down the board so I can move one bracket to allow for different length strings.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 04:32:00 pm »
Continuous loop for me, it just ain't goona slip is it?
I have done Flemish twist which does have a sort of Zen like attraction, but I'd only consider using it with natural materials which aren't going to slip so much.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:54:18 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Osage. Neat set up. I always use a flemish twist, but have seen some mighty neat looking endless loop strings on here and thought I might try it sometime.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »
Ya, that's what I mean.  Just looping the B-50 around a couple hooks must be a lot quicker than doing the flemish twist.  At least for me anyway.  Maybe I'm too O.C.D. about how I make them, but after I do the first loop, it seems to take me forever, because I untangle and untwist all of the strands in each bundle so that I can pull them all equally tight before counter-twisting a bit and starting the second loop, all the while hoping that I made it the correct length (don't have a jig).

Osage Outlaw - Do you serve inside the string loops too?  If so, how do you go about that?  I was thinking if a guy spooled some serving thread onto a small bobbin from a sewing machine (or anything that would fit through the loop), it would speed up the process.

I love the looks of the flemish string, but I think I may just have to make up a jig like that and give it a try.  Thanks for the pics.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »
If you look at the first picture, you can see where I served the loops.  I mark where I want to serve the ends with a sharpie and then slide the string until the marks are in the center of the jig.  I serve between the marks from both loops and then slide the string back to what you are looking at in the first picture.  Then I clamp the end and serve the two halves together like in the third picture.  Hopefully that makes sense.  If not let me know and I'll try to take more pictures the next time I make a string.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
I'm new to this, and I've only made a dozen or more strings, all flemish, so I am biased, but it's to the point where I sit down to watch a show, and by the end I got the string on the bow and served, usually only twisting during commercials...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
I'd much rather twist a flemish than do the additional serving on an endless.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:19:06 am »
I like the color combo's I can do with flemish. Also, endless is what I made for my old compounds. :)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.