Author Topic: "Yurok Medicine"  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Gordon

"Yurok Medicine"
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:27:09 am »
Here is a bow that is collaboration between a friend (Brad Shirts) and I. For the last couple of years Brad has been bringing me pictures of some West Coast bows that he liked. I finely got the hint and committed that I would build him a bow that he could then decorate in any manner he pleased. Our first attempt failed as the vine maple stave over-dried and exploded during the tiller process. This spring Brad found a nice piece of serviceberry which I roughed out and built into a bow. Brad prepared the sturgeon skin, designed and executed all the artwork, inlaid the arrow pass, applied the finish and did the handle work. My wife, Jayne, lettered the bow.

Here are the specs: service-berry, 65” ntn, 65# @ 28”, cocobolo tip overlays, sturgeon-skin backing, natural brain tanned elk handle, walrus ivory arrow pass, carved bone and abalone beads on the handle tags, Tru-oil finish. Brad christened the bow  “Yurok Medicine”.

Brad is taking it on its maiden elk hunt this weekend. With mojo like that, I would be very afraid if I were an elk!

BTW, that is Brad in the pictures.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:12:46 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: "Yurok Medicine"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:43:23 am »
That is an incredible piece of art.  What is the arrow pass inlay made of.  Can I see a picture of the inlay and maybe one of the picture of a complete limb so I can see how it all ties together. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:45:24 am »
All around beautiful bow, but that sturgeon skin is outstanding.  Hope the bow brings good luck to the hunt.
VB

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 01:51:16 am »
Wow :o, you got it Gordon - beautiful bow and the elk aughta be very afraid ;D. Youre an artist with that working wood!!!

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:13:02 am »
Justin, the arrow pass inlay is made of walrus ivory. Brad did that part and he did a great job. It will be a while before I can take more pictures because I won't see Brad until I get back from a 10-day hunting trip.
Gordon

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 03:16:18 am »
Gordon, that bow is a beauty, both artisticaly and tecnicaly. Great Job, I would like to try that serviceberry sometime. What are your thoughts on it as a bow wood? Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:32:25 am »
Thank you Steve. I like serviceberry a lot. It is dense, very strong in tension and, unlike vine maple, it is easy to work with a scraper. It will, however, crysal if you are not carefull. The belly needs to be flat.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 04:02:51 am »

gordon!  -  i REALLY missed your posts!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 04:06:29 am »
i'm speechless.  what a beauty.  i rarely predict the BOM race before it started but this one will be hard to beat.  congratulations gordon, to you and to brad.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 07:26:40 am »
Outstanding bow Gordon, Its easy to see that many hours were spent on it. The attention to detail is outstanding.
Couple questions on the serviceberry did you induce a reflex? was it a striaght piece or did it require straightening?
Also any checking problems while drying? Reason I ask is I cut some this spring debarked it cut in half, and sealed
but most of it checked and twisted quite bad. I have two staves out of seven that survived and one is such a snake only Pappy could love it ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Olschool

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 08:49:36 am »
beautiful bow! both the art work and tiller

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 09:54:12 am »
Stunning!

tradrick

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 09:58:46 am »
That is truely a work of art.When you put your creativity and  personal touches like that in a bow,I would thank that it becomes part of you.And when you bring home meat with it.It makes it even better.tradrick

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 10:20:52 am »
Outstanding 8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 10:53:23 am »
Gordon, This is an incredible bow all around. Good luck to Brad. We want to see pics of his elk when he gets back. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC