Author Topic: Question aboout wood  (Read 3427 times)

Offline stubshaft

Question aboout wood
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:56 pm »
Has anyone used mahogany as either a core or backing on one of their ELB or EWB? 
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

Offline bubby

Re: Question aboout wood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:16 am »
mahogony is brittle and not a choice for bows, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
+1

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  There is very little to no, decent wood locally and I was just wondering.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »
There will be! Are there any hardwood trees? Find out what they are called and go from there. Remember you can make a bow out of just about any wood if it's designed properly.

Offline gigmaster

• The Naturalpath
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:40 am »
There are no Hickory trees around????? Where do you live? I thought Hickory grew just about everywhere in the US. How about Osage? Remember, in some parts of the country, Osage is also called Bois d' Arc (pronouced "bodark"), or a Horse-Apple Tree. Boise d' Arc is French for "bow wood". Another good candidate for bows is Red Mulberry. It has similar properties to Osage. Also, White Oak, and Live Oak can make some outstanding bows. I have one each. Personally, I rate White Oak, and Live Oak superior to Red Oak in all respects.

Hickory is the best all-around wood for bows, by far. I have heard that Bois d' Arc makes some very fast-shooting bows, but like yew, takes a little practice to get used to working it.

Mahogany is OK as a laminate, with fiberglass, but not for a selfbow. It has little flex.

IPE is Brazillian Walnut. You are unlikely to find any growing in the U.S. It is also called Ironwood.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:51 am »
There is no hickory, osage or ash in Hawaii.  There is an abundance of Ironwood but it does not resemble Ipe.  There are some hardwood species but they usually have alot of twist and knots.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:55:47 am »
Hawaii...try some guave :) Manny, a well known forum member who doesn't visit the sites very often anymore, has made countless great guava bows. He's from Hawaii too.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 04:19:13 pm »
If you use the search box in here and type in guava you should be able to see some crazy stuff Manny has produced.  He uses the username Nomadic Pirate. 

If you are interested in the least in hunting pigs with airguns, he's also the go-to guy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.