Author Topic: ash for a board bow  (Read 6269 times)

Offline danny f

ash for a board bow
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »
hi all i was wondering if ash would be suitable as a board bow? i have found a place that sells lengths of 4"- 1" ash boards and as i have no seasoned wood to work with i was thinking of having a ride to see if i can find a nice straight grained piece to make my first board bow, i know ash can be used for bows but havent read anywhere of an ash board bow. also they said they sell white oak is this any good to use as i will look at that to if it is?. cheers danny.

Offline k-hat

Re: ash for a board bow
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »
I know the white oak would make a great board bow, ash should as well, though i haven't done one yet (been tempted!).  Worst that could happen is you try it and learn how to break an ash board ;)

The key on either will be straight grain running down what will be the back and the sides.  Quartersawn i believe is preferable, though some prefer rift or bias.

Good luck!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:31:03 pm »
 I have made a few ash board bows but I highly recommend backing it with hickory. The only ones that survived had hic on them!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:24 pm »
Yes, it will make a bow. If this is your first back with linen, silk or burlap. More on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:49:03 pm »
thanks for the advice and for the link. i will go and have a look then when im off work. not to sure where they sell hickory im in the uk. but could get linen or silk pretty easily, i will probably try both types. if nothing else it will give me something to do, until i get some seasoned logs from somewhere. cheers

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »
American/Canadian White Ash is very good from the board, quality can be very hit or miss more so than any other wood.

If you can find a good board then you will be able to make bows from it, I make loads of bows for reenactor's and it is rare for the bow to break. I have also made board bows up to about 110lb, its all about the quality you can find. I personally never back them.

I have had similar results with White Oak although that is very susceptible to compression fractures.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Ragi

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:55 am »
I work almost exclusively with White ask Board staves. I love ASH. it is a pretty grain, makes a nice 50 lbs or less flat bow with little effort and many filks I know are shooting mine, in some cases for years. Durable and ding resistant. a well done back needs no backing.

I recommend getting a 6/4 board over 4/4 for your fist few staves.

Ragi
Ragi WarmBear
ragi@brokenaxe.ca
Montreal Quebec Canada

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:34 am »
get some quarter sawn ash and white oak , white oak makes a great backer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline danny f

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:57:41 am »
cheers everyone.  :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:45 pm »
I have made at least 20 ash board bows, half with american white ash the rest english, not much difference in performance, its a great material for bows, provided you make a flat bow 2" wide, had no failures unless I did something stupid, very little set and all still shooting , I really recommend t as bow wood, especially for a first bow, if you lightly heat treat it  its even better
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline danny f

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »
i managed to get a nice piece yesterday so i will be working on it as soon as poss, i put some pics of it on another thread.