Author Topic: Another Classic Bow...Black Locust D Bow  (Read 11958 times)

blackhawk

Re: Another Classic Bow...Black Locust D Bow
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »
thanks ya'll

postmanim a lil too skinny to look like him....unless it was a cracked out kiesel..lol :laugh:

it was great meetin ya too will....im already planning on next year cus that s way too much fun just to do once in a lifetime

i know you like your locust mike......me too ;)   it has been excellent in all 4 times ive used it so far

Offline Olschool

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »
I love knotty wood! Great looking bow

Offline kybow

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »
Looks great Chris! You were a machine at the Classic, was that the log you were working on after you finished the mollie?

blackhawk

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
Thanks chad....yeah this was that stave,and it came from clint(osage outlaw) that i traded with him in exchange for some Hophornbeam for him....

Lately this bow is in my top three line up for shooters...i love shootin this one...it hammers my deer target n hits where i look

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »
Hey KYbow, who are you?  I'm sure I met you down there, but can't seem to put a face with the name.   Are you one of the two guys who were working on their first bows?  I remember one bow was finished and one bow had some checks that needed wrapped before it could be shot.  Sorry I don't remember.  I met so many people this year that I can't keep everyone straight. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 11:06:56 pm »
I remember watching you work on that one.  Very nice indeed!  The molle on crack really impressed me.  It was good to meet you and Clint and ............. and ............ and.........  well, you know what I mean.  Josh

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 01:11:32 am »
Nice bow blackhawk.  I like the heavier bows.  And that fact that you tamed that twisted best in one sess is outstanding. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 05:24:11 am »
Great looking bow.  I wish I had the confidence to tackle the difficult staves like that.  I plan on working some BL this winter.  Hopefully, I can get someone to go lop one down for me this summer.  I'm stuck in the sandbox until the first week of bow season in NY, and I don't want to go out to my hunting woods with a chainsaw in the middle of the season.  If not, I'll have to wait until the season ends, which might be better with BL, to let the sap get out of the wood...plus, i could drag it out on snow.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:28 am »
I love it,great job!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 07:55:49 am »
Thanks gun doc....it was good to meet ya too and a slew of other fine folks down there in a lil tennessee valley

Thanks cmb...just slapped her in a form n went to town with the heat gun..nuttin to hard to manage

Thanks jude..hope you can get some black locust to work on for the winter....i love locust...good wood imho

Thanks steve

Offline druid

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 07:31:04 am »
Great, just great! Bow and knot too!!!  :D

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:19 am »
I never get tired of you posting pictures of your bows!  I love the looks of that one.  You sure tackled those knot holes!  Cool.  I bet it is a real shooter.  Keep em coming!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54:54 am »
wow this is pretty damned impressive.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:09 pm »
Thanks Druid...oh master of the knotty,wobbly D bows   ;)

Thanks howard...ill do me best to keep on a whittlin n postin em

Thanks dictionary...this is prob a good example of what D bow tiller is supposed to look like seein how your having some issues with them....notice the unbraced,to braced,and then to full draw..and keep your eye on the handle area and notice how it appears to be only bending a little by sight of eye compared to the mid limbs....you want the last few inches of your tips stiff,then more bend and the most bend as you get to midlimb,then it gets stiffer into the inner limbs close to the handle,then a barely noticeable bend in the handle that you can barely see with your eyes. Hope this helps.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »
Thanks Druid...oh master of the knotty,wobbly D bows   ;)

Thanks howard...ill do me best to keep on a whittlin n postin em

Thanks dictionary...this is prob a good example of what D bow tiller is supposed to look like seein how your having some issues with them....notice the unbraced,to braced,and then to full draw..and keep your eye on the handle area and notice how it appears to be only bending a little by sight of eye compared to the mid limbs....you want the last few inches of your tips stiff,then more bend and the most bend as you get to midlimb,then it gets stiffer into the inner limbs close to the handle,then a barely noticeable bend in the handle that you can barely see with your eyes. Hope this helps.

It does. I'll be shooting for a tiller like this on my next one. Thanks
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson