Author Topic: Another first time stave/Now a finished bow  (Read 6314 times)

Offline AJMag

Re: Another first time stave recipient/Now a bow
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:47 am »
Well...... I've had a few days off now, and lets just say that..... I'm addicted to this board!  I've dang near chased every ring, down to the chosen ring, one at a time to get the hang of what's happening. All I can say is I'm starting to understand why so many people say they enjoy this wood.

This first pic is after I reached the first unviolated ring and was able to choose one. I chose the ring under the pencil line and traced the ring end to end to make sure I had a reference line.

The next is just a general look at the shape of the back after I reached that ring. I was very meticulous about just barely removing the early ring before it so the entire length of this ring is still just as thick as it started out.

The last two are after I roughed out the shape. It has a natural reflex to it which is cool, but the tip on the left has some twist to it that I might need to do something about.  It's only in about the last 6" or so of the limb.  I went ahead and roughed it out at right about 1.5" to make sure I have room if I need it. Better safe than sorry, at least on this first one.

So, what ya think, fellas? Any input so far?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:22:40 pm by AJMag »

Offline okie64

Re: Another first time stave recipient
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:17 am »
Looks like you got it going your way. Looks like a really clean piece of osage and you did a great job chasin that ring from what I can tell. I cut all my own wood but if I ever had to buy a stave it would definitely be from Mike Yancey. Hes a class A guy and Im fortunate enough to live about 10 minutes from him so I get to go by his shop and visit him frequently ( probably more frequently than he would like me to). I wouldnt worry about that twist unless you just want to heat it out, doesnt look like enough to hurt anything. The only time I heat small amounts of twist out is when Im already planning on adding reflex to a stave and then you can do it all at the same time.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 02:42:13 am »
I'm pretty up in the air about the twist. It's seen in the first pics, in the middle section of that stave. I had to take two inches off that end due to a small check, so the result was that hard upward bend and a twist in the grain.  I also want to put some wood overlays on it, which will be new to me as well compared to boards.  So I'm concerned about how it will turn out.  If I do decide to remove the twist, would you suggest dry heat or steaming? I know it seems this is a debatable topic, but I'd rather here it from people who are seeing, hearing and understanding my thoughts and concerns.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 02:56:14 am »
Dry stave=dry heat.  Osage bends extremely well with the proper amount of dry heat.  To remove twist, I put a C-clamp on the limb sides so the screw of the clamp is angling up.  Hang some weight from the screw handle.  Some good sized wrenches will work.  Heat the area you want to untwist and when you hit the right temp, the weight will slowly pull the twist out.  Go a little past straight because it will spring back a small amount.  I usually support the limb right before the weight so it doesn't cause any accidental deflex.  If you want, I can take a picture of what I am talking about and post it tomorrow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline AJMag

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 10:26:47 am »
Thanks Osage, I understand what you're saying. I had a actually seen a few photos of what you're describing.  Dry heat - check. One of these days all this info I read daily will sink and I'll start remembering which methods ya'll recommend for what woods..

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »
Actually, it is dry heat + wet wood = check.  Dry wood bends wonderfully with dry heat.  I would certainly get the bow bending before taking out the twist, otherwise it's too thick and takes an awful lot of heat and time.  If you wait until the bow is nearly tillered it won't take much heat at all.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline AJMag

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 12:27:55 am »
I made up a short string for it and put it in a low brace tonight after starting some tillering today. I'm wondering if you guys have any advice or opinions on how to work the tiller with the reflex on that right limb. Also A little teaser on the tip overlays I worked up for it. Pink ivory under bocote. I thought about waiting to share those tips, but I'm feeling too proud not to share.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:32 am »
It might be just me but it kinda looks like youe edges might be alittle sharp...If that is the case ya might want to round them off before you do anymore bending.If a splinter is gonna lift it will do it on a sharp edge.
      As for working out the reflex you could either heat in matching reflex on the other limb( making them both equal) or heat out the reflex in the reflexed limb leaving a straight limb profile on both limbs..
      Reflexed bows can be touchy to tiller so either way take your time and only remove small amounts of wood and exercise the limb in between scraping sessions...
      She is looking pretty good so far...Good luck
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 12:48:07 am »
Nice tip overlays!  In a stave like yours I would heat bend a little reflex in the straight limb so it matches.  It isn't necessary, you can tiller it the way it is, but it's easier to tiller limbs with similar shapes.  And I like easy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:00 am »
As an alternative, I made an Osage bow some years back from a stave that had similar characteristics as this one.  The handle has a fairly big knot in it, which causes the limb below the knot to deflex and above it to reflex.  Tricky to tiller.  I ultimately deflexed both limbs to match and reflexed the tips.  Looks Neolithic and shoots sweet.  Never did really get both limbs to match in deflex, but close enough.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline AJMag

Re: Another first time stave recipient/Now a bow
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
The tiller doesn't look completely perfect to me, but it looks better from one side than the other. So there's a pic for each side. Both pics make the limbs look hingy on the right, which I think is a reslut of the angle of the camera. If I had the luxury at the moment of having someone around to snap a pic for me I'd show one from the side, being drawn.

I left room in the weight for sanding and finishing from my desired weight of around 55lbs, and after about 40+ arrows down range, my scale reads right about 58 lbs at 28".

My ol man hasn't even seen it in person yet and it sounds like he's got his thoughts set on one of his own. Since he's not near patient enough to do this, I think I may get a chance to make another one pretty soon and work on my tillering skills. This was so much fun that I don't know how I could ever go back to red oak board bows.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
Better get started on his bow!  Do it before the withdrawal shakes start, trust me.

And yeah, you will make another red oak board bow.  You are a junkie and you can't stop yourself now.  Welcome to the addiction.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.