Author Topic: Can I pull this to full draw?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline TacticalFate

Can I pull this to full draw?
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »
So, this is my second bow, made of ash (first one was red maple :P), 60" from nock to nock and tapering from 1&3/4 inch at the fades to about a half inch at the tips. Currently pulling #25 at 18". I think the tiller looks okay, but I was wondering what might be the maximum poundage for a bow of these dimensions, and if it would be safe to pull it to full draw at 28". It's a bit warped, which is why one limb looks too big.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:24:28 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Can I pull this to full draw?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »
I'm not a fan of putting off pulling to the target draw weight until the very end.  I prefer to pull most of the draw weight as soon as the limbs are nicely bending and balanced.  This should be about half draw, then gently reducing limb thickness adds more draw length until the target draw length is reached at the target draw weight.   Nice bend in your limbs, but I'm worried you're going to come in pretty low on draw weight by the time you get to a longer draw and fix any tiller issues that show up.  Hopefully that won't be the case.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »
Yeah, like Geoge says. You don't just heave it back, you tease it back slowly, correcting any problems before they get too big.
Like that right limb, it may be fine, but it may try to bend sideways (towards us in the pic) as it comes back. Have a look down the limb and see if it is trying to bend, maybe thin out the edge nearest us a tad.
Anyhow, take your time. Is that a short string on it (e.g At a proper brace height?) if not, then get a short string on it before you take it back further.
Theoretically you keep pulling it back to near your target draw weight, removing wood to slowly increase the draw at that weight until you get to full draw at target weight.
Good luck, some times you can get a twisted limb to pull back perfectly ok as you draw the bow, but it needs some care and attention like maybe moving the nock sideways a bit.
The bow I currently working on as one limb which tries to bend sideways.
Del
PS. (If you haven't seen my Bowyers Diary, it may be worth a look, as I blog my progress, problems, faults, mistakes and all, google 'Bowyers Diary' to find it.)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:34:53 pm »
X2 like George. ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »
Hmm, I see. Would've done this except that I couldnt get my hands on a scale when I blanked out the bow and started tillering...

Anyway, it's now pulling 40# at about 25", with 5" of brace. I think I'll keep it at 40#, for a shortish bow that's plenty good, I guess.

Thanks for the tillering advice! I think I've found a new passion :)

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »
woah there slow down! you either have a ton of twist on your right limb, or its way thicker than the other

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:02:26 am »
Both limbs look very stiff at midlimb. You need to keep away from the handle fade outs, and remove more wood from the midlimbs.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline druid

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:16 am »
Agree with Darksoul, except I would add and outer limbs are also stiff. After removing wood on these places you should proceed. God work for now.

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:37:28 am »
I agree with what everybody has said about removal of wood from the mid to the ends of the limbs but I have a question for Del. And don't think I am questioning you ability or knowledge in this matter as I think you are one of the masters I am always in awe of and look to learn stuff from on this forum but in regards to the twist of the right limb: if a limb twists toward the weak side of the limb and the limb is twisting toward us in the pic, wouldn't you want to remove wood and thin out the side of the limb that is farthest from us to cause it to twist back the other way?
Twisting of limbs is one of the things I am constantly trying to learn to control as my choice of bow woods usually ends up being twisty character stuff forcing me to be thinking about it always.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:01 pm »
I agree with what everybody has said about removal of wood from the mid to the ends of the limbs but I have a question for Del. And don't think I am questioning you ability or knowledge in this matter as I think you are one of the masters I am always in awe of and look to learn stuff from on this forum but in regards to the twist of the right limb: if a limb twists toward the weak side of the limb and the limb is twisting toward us in the pic, wouldn't you want to remove wood and thin out the side of the limb that is farthest from us to cause it to twist back the other way?
Twisting of limbs is one of the things I am constantly trying to learn to control as my choice of bow woods usually ends up being twisty character stuff forcing me to be thinking about it always.

Sounds to me like you have a good understanding of it Sir.  You are correct.  It is easy to get it backwards or overthink it, but yes you would want to thin the side toward the wall on this bow.   Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:41 am »
  First off you can'nt get a total weight my dementions.  ALL WOOD IS WOOD NO 2 STAVES OR BOARDS ARE THE SAME. Going by demintions will get you in the ball park. They may look the same but there not.  Doing this can help to over stess your limbs leading to set and string follow.
  I tiller my bows totally different that others have just said here.
  I get my limb profile first and take wood off the belly. Geting the wanted weight and draw lenth has I go. Tillering the bow then thining the limbs to get wanted weight. You have put unneeded pressure on your limbs. By not useing the full with on your limbs.
  By getting your limb profile first. Leaves the limbs as wide as you want them it helps to spread the perssure out over the limb more.  The set and string follow may not be much but all the stress on your limbs you elimate. Helps with set ,sting follow giveing you better cast. All my bows either have a 1/2 to a inch of reflex to straight profile.
  This is one of the reasons.
  As far as your bow go's if you've tillered it to 18"s and you pillit to 28 now you'll differntly pick up a lot of set and string follow. I'd say over 2 inchs easy. Exspecillt if it's a board bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 10:43:17 am »
Nope. Your bow is wayyyyyyy to short to even think about a 28" draw. By looking at it I would say you got a 25-30# bow at a max of about 22-24" if the tiller is perfect.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »
if tiller is perfect you can full draw a 52 inch , your on the right track , try side removal if your not taking set yet

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:49 pm »
if tiller is perfect you can full draw a 52 inch , your on the right track , try side removal if your not taking set yet

Only the short bow MAN himself would tell you no problem on a stiff handled 60" ash bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »
Too short for a 28  in draw. 25 in seems reasonable. Looks like you need more movement mid limb on...both limbs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!