Author Topic: Brand new.....could use some ideas  (Read 4506 times)

Offline chertle

Brand new.....could use some ideas
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:46:28 pm »
I am just getting started knapping.  I have been around it for a little bit and know some of the verbage but I haven't ever tried to knap.  I have access to most of the tools that I would need to get started.  Do you pros suggest I start with a big rock (nodule I think is the word for it) or smaller chunks?  I have never made a bi-face or anything.  I have watched a couple of videos on youtube and I have a book (not sure which one).  I think I just need to get out there and start breaking.  Will probably do it this weekend.  Any advice on the best way to start?
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Tower

Re: Brand new.....could use some ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »
Try & start with a thin spall. There might be a little percussion but must would be pressure flaking. It helps you to understand how the stone fractures.  My opinion.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »
I would probably start with a good sized chunk, about a softball or a little bigger, try to knock off a chunk and try to process it down a little.  I wouldn't go straight for trying to make something if you a lot of rock on hand, just practice the techniques. If you're short on rock or have to buy it I would try to get smaller chunks that are made by knappers, or are of right shape, so you don't waste a lot of rock practicing.

I started on plate glass from windows and started with making arrow heads. I've never tried a biface or knife blade etc. yet.

yeah, im not too good at the jargon yet either :P

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:10 pm »
Try & start with a thin spall. There might be a little percussion but must would be pressure flaking. It helps you to understand how the stone fractures.  My opinion.

listen to tower, one of the best on here, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chertle

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
So that I will make sure ya'll know I am a beginner, is a spall what almost looks like the shape of the arrowhead and you just take off smaller pieces to tweak it?  Thanks for all the help in such a short time.  I knew you guys would know how to help!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:18:43 pm »
A spall is a thin chunk bigger than a large potato chip.  A flake is smaller than a spall and can be made into an arrowhead without much change to the flake.

Videos are the best place to start.  Watch more than a few.  Watch dozens...  some over and over.  Then go break rock.  Take a break.  Repeat.

Beginners do best when they attend a knapp-in.  Where?  Ask and you shall receive. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline chertle

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:00:58 am »
Thanks jackcrafty!!!  I am watching more videos before I get out there this weekend!!  I felt like an idiot when one of the videos described spalls!!!  I think you are right I need to watch more videos.  It is supposed to be a nice weekend so I will probably try to break some rock and then watch the videos to see what I did wrong.  One video showed working with the bottom of bottles.  Do you guys think that is a good idea?
Leslie
Indiana

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:11:59 am »
I think all the above advice is good.  I would add that you should find a pile of cheap rock and just go crazy hitting it.  Look up paleomanjim he has a lot of good videos on how to start. I would use the pause button to keep track of which side he is working on.  What happens is that we often do three things before we take a good hard swing.  So it is helpful to watch someone work a stone.  Where do you live? I am doing a demo this weekend at a children's bow jam here in Iowa.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
Also RUN before you have to attend meetings!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline chertle

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:26:23 am »
Also RUN before you have to attend meetings!
  I have been warned.  My friend tried to warn me before he gave me some tools and rock!!!  I hope I do OK!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:35:55 am »
Sounds like your on your way chertle. All good advice so far. In the beginning: After about several months of beating and chipping i finally got with someone to show me how to do it - the light came on.. If you can take a chunk and spall off some good thin flakes then use them for practice. I remember making dozens of arrowhead shaped rocks just by shaping the edges with little flakes. Learning how to run flakes to center or farther will come with tonnage..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline chertle

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »
I remember making dozens of arrowhead shaped rocks just by shaping the edges with little flakes. Learning how to run flakes to center or farther will come with tonnage..

I am glad to hear that my flakes will get better with time.  This weekend I broke a little bit of rock and most of my flakes are short and don't go far.  I have learned that if you don't get your flakes to at least meet in the middle then you aren't going to have very thin heads. I made some of the arrow shaped rocks that you speak of :P!!  I should post them so that you guys can get a good laugh!  Thanks for your help.  Will watch more movies and break more rock.  I definitely see how addicting it can be!!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »
Welcome Chertle, You oughta be fine, Like Cowboy said, As the tons of rock get made to gravel,so the result improves. Bet your making shooters in no time. Keep at it !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline chertle

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:26 am »
Thank you for all the support!!!  I am getting the bug......I have blisters, sore hands, and cuts >:D  I will post some of my attempts soon and you guys can tell me where I am falling short.  The thinning is really tough! I shaped one point without any help and it looks like a morel mushroom  :laugh: My husband looked it up in a book for me and supposedly there is a name for the shape but I think he is just trying to make me feel better!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline chief deer

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:17 pm »
I would strive to learn percussion first. It wil make you a all around knapper. Without good percussion skills you are left with small pieces and will depend on someone to spall for you.  Mike