Author Topic: Not the best i have made and alittle thick  (Read 2755 times)

Offline seider

Not the best i have made and alittle thick
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
I have got to get some more of this.  It is the first time i have work some rootbeer it is great.  It is thicker than i wanted but i did not have much to work with at all to start with.  Could have thinned it out better but i would have lost alot of width so i just stuck with it
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

Re: Not the best i have made and alittle thick
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:10 am »
Nice point and material. Thinning will come later.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
I have a little of the rootbeer. Man,..That is good rock.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:57 am »
Practice, practice... You've got the general idea and looking good! Once you get the percussion down thinning will come easy'ish  ::), there's a new word for ya..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline seider

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:50:51 pm »
Yea i like that its easy'ish.  I have some of kinley's rock and i works great also i had a real nice point going and my mom ended up with it.  It was about 3/8"thick or just alittle less.  I was ready to start pressure flaking to see if i could thin it out more that way.  One day i need to sit with someone and let em learn me some more.  Correct my bad habits

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:17:13 pm »
... Once you get the percussion down thinning will come easy'ish  ::)...

What!!@@@!!!  Clearly I don't have it down... ::)  Nothing comes easy'ish if you ask me.  Y'all must just be better... ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 12:36:55 pm »
Ya still have lots of room for some percussion thinning. Thin it or break it trying! That's my motto. Remember its just a rock until itts finnished.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seider

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:44:20 pm »
I have a little 1/2 sollid rod i rounded off i can drive some real nice thin flakes with to shape and thin with had a real nice one going today but broke it do to my lack of experience holding em while thin.  The one with th marker is the one my mom stole. Your  right Tower all i can do is break it or make it either way its just a rock. 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »
Broke is baaad but unfortunantly so common :(. Nice lookin knife there :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline seider

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
That was probally the best preform i had going for me and i had to break it.  I just did not have it supported right.  The knife is a texas made knife can not beat em. 

Offline Bear Claw

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:55:09 am »
I think the two most common things that cause problems when you first start down this road of insanity are   a: platforms are not set up below the center line and  b: underestimating the importance of grinding those platforms. I'm not saying that support isn't important , but with a well set up platform even mediocre support should give you the result you are looking for. When the platform is done right it takes a lot of stress off of the biface and allows the flake to release easier-ish. Or something like that.  (gettin down off the soapbox) anyone else? Lol
Aaron from northwest Arkansas.

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:16:26 am »
I agree, but point stablization is as important as the force applied properly (percussion). My opinion. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seider

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »
Thank both of yall I will work on that and maybe next time i can have a point on here insead of a gravel.  I know that my platform was just below centerline but maybe not far enough.  I have been working on support not to much and not to little.