Author Topic: What is the TN Classic  (Read 5994 times)

Offline iowabow

What is the TN Classic
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:55 am »
If you are new to this site and are wondering what this group of people is all about, well I am going to try and explain it in a few sentences.  We all share the love of archery and an appreciation of things made before the record of history.  We enjoy learning and teaching, bow making, flint knapping, and the list goes on and on.  We come from all walks of life, sewage plant managers, Automotive Plant Parts Purchaser, Teachers, Wielders, Computer Drafting Experts, Heavy Equipment Operators, and the list goes on and on.  We can't be categorized by race, demographic, religion, or political orientation, and this list goes on and on.  There is one thing all of the people I meet at the classic share and that is a good heart! What makes the classic so wonderful are the humble, quality people, that take their vacation time to teach anyone who wants to learn what they know and with only the reward of knowing that they have given the next generation is the gift of "archery knowledge" what was not known 100 years ago. 
 The classic is what you make of it so you could spend all of you time learning to be a bower or a knapper or learn more about shooting a bow.  You might just want to watch and listen to the music and sit around the campfire and share hunting stories.  You are going to make friends and your children are going to make friends and they are going to gain experiences and knowledge much greater than that trip to see the mouse.  The folks at Twin Oaks are not just pasting on the traditional ways of making bows but the traditional way that people should treat people. This was a very good experience for my son and me.   There are many things in life that pull parents and children apart and it is nice to have an event that is truly family friendly.  Pappy, Joanie and all of the Twin Oaks gang my hat goes off to you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:45:27 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: What is the TN Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:38:56 am »
Diddo the above.

Cheers, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
There arent enough good words in the dictionary to define this question,and no words can be said to someone who hasnt been there to make them understand. Its a must event everyone should attend at least once in there life,but once you do attend your first,YOU WILL BE BACK FOR MORE. Its like opening a bag of your favorite potato chips and trying to only eat one chip and close the bag and put it away.....well,it just aint gonna happen.

Good luck trying to define this one guys  ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:01 pm »
  I have to consider this event one of the highlights of my life. I fell in love with the South and the people who live there over 40 years ago and have always returned often to visit. This trip was even more special as I was around folks with a common interest in primitive skills. Pappy's influence was evident everywhere on his farm especialy in the club members who seemed to have alot of pride in following Pappy's lead by example. I have to say Twin oaks is probably home to the finest bunch of bow makers and knappers anywhere in the world. Lots of talent here, not just in bow making but in music, art, writing, photography, knife making, and nearly any other skill you can think of. Twin Oaks has become a second home to many of these members and you can feel the pride and love they have for Pappy and his farm, I believe anyone would be proud to be a part of all this. Thanks to all for making me feel so welcome and a great experience.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »
I also forgot that you wont sleep much at your first classic! I stayed up knapping till 1am or later each night and woke early to work on bows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »
With that atmosphere, it's hard to stop working.  1:00 am seemed to be the time my eyes couldn't focus anymore.  I'd hit the shower and then crawl into my tent.  Early the next morning I would wake up to a breakfast of pringles and Mt Dew and start it all over again. 

What I was so impressed with was the guys in the bow shop that did nothing but help others all week.  Badger, Matt, Gary, Clay and I'm sure others helped so many people make their first bows.  It was amazing to watch them spread the passion of primitive archery.  I'm sure it was the same in the knapping pit.  I never found the time to break any rock. 

Iowabow, would you mind if I posted a few pictures from the classic in this thread? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »
I think it would be great if you did so those who have never been can get a taste of what we are talking about. Also folks the pictures make the event look small but it is spread out over a large area.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:11:00 pm »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:26:33 pm »
I met so many new people from this site this year that it was like going to the Classic for the first time again. I hate going home everytime I come up, and it was extremely hard this year after making the trip three times since the Classic last year :). The weather was the best I've seen since I started going. And it's hard to find words to pile on the praise that Pappy, Miss Joanie and all my good friends in the club do for this event that hasn't been said. So, I'll just say Thank you for another good time, my friends. ;D If you haven't been, y'all need to go.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:52 pm »
I have not had the honor of going as of yet but to have that option because of pappy and the twin oaks crew makes me feel the need to thank them in advance ...all you hear is story after story of good times and good friends with future plans to return, the only bad ive herd is broken/lost arrows, injured flint knapped fingers and a lost knife! Sign me up, a.nd my hats off to you, bravo!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »
Hey that last picture is of me and Pat B! Another great guy to know and a very good teacher for bow building.  Thanks again Pat B

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:42 pm »
I thought you might like that one  ;D

Offline SA

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:36 pm »
man looks like you guys had alot of fun,i need to plan a trip to tenn. next year :)
Shawn Acker

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »
My brother enjoyed it and he does not even do archery !
He  came home a flint knapper !
Thank you to all that made him feel welcome !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline kybow

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:07 pm »
This was my first year and I have to say that I'm hooked! I can't thank everyone that helped me with my first bow enough. Chris, Greg, Matt, Gary, I'm horrible with names so everyone else thanks as well! This is how all knowledge should be passed on, I am amazed with the time Matt put in with the adults and he was a madman with the kids. I learned so much and can't wait to start on my next bow. I also want to thank Pappy and all of the Twin Oaks members for organizing such a great event. 

Chad