Author Topic: Asking for a bit of advice.  (Read 3101 times)

chrisspartan416

Asking for a bit of advice.
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »
Greetings!
I've come across this forum after looking into this hobby for a little bit and decided I want to get into it. Problem is, I'm not sure how to start. If someone would be so kind as to give me a few tips or such on how to start this hobby, it would be much appreciated.

God bless,
Chris

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Asking for a bit of advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »
Your in the right place !!
start reading !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »
First off welcome to the addiction. You've come to the right place. There is a wealth of information here read lots of posts here, buy Traditional Bowyers Bible books 1,2,3 and 4. There will be others along directly that can offer more advice on things to read, When you think you're ready aquire some tools some wood and some blisters and before you know it you'll be making a bow. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »
Gary Davis has a DVD out called Rattlestick.  It is about building an osage bow, but would be very helpful to a beginner no matter what wood is used.

I think you should start by learning what bow woods are in your area.  Learn how to find a good tree for bow making.  Cut it, split it, and seal it up.  Then while it's drying, start reading and learning all you can.  You can also find some great build-a-longs on this site. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »
You might want to post your general area.  There may be an experienced bowyer in the area and learning from somebody who knows the ropes is by far the best way to learn.  You also might get pointers to events your area where you can meet other bowyers.  If you're near Dallas, TX, I'll be happy to help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

this is jawge's site.  Read it from front to back. It is where I started he has alot of very useful info on there.  Good luck and welcome to this wonderful addiction!

check out the "how to build a board bow" section first to get started.  Have fun!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »
What Josh said......

Lane

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 04:42:47 pm »
What Ron Said!
                             Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

chrisspartan416

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »
You might want to post your general area.  There may be an experienced bowyer in the area and learning from somebody who knows the ropes is by far the best way to learn.  You also might get pointers to events your area where you can meet other bowyers.  If you're near Dallas, TX, I'll be happy to help.

George

That would be wonderful. In that case, I live in the general area of Eureka, MO. If anyone lives nearby who would be willing to give me some pointers were to help, that'd be great.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:03:44 am »
Have a look at my website, I also do a Bowyers Diary, where you can see what I do on a day to day basis, screw ups and all!
Google 'Delsbows' or 'Bowyers Diary' to find me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

chrisspartan416

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:46 am »
Okay, thanks.  :)

Offline Rich H.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:07 pm »
Take the following with a grain of salt (I'm a  total noob working on his first bow build): read everything you can get your hands on and then grab a chunk of wood and let the shavings fly. 

There are a ton of how-to's and build-alongs on this forum (and around the web such as poor folks bows, jawge's website, TG, etc.).  Find a good one and start building.  I know my first bow has been a HUGE learning experience and I've learned a lot (mostly from my mistakes).  Even if it turns out as kindling it will have been worth it and I'll take that knowledge to my second bow. 

They are right, it really is a bit of an addiction.  I'm planning my second bow and I'm not even done with my first...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
-Albert Einstein

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »
All the reading and such is necessary and you can't have too much info. The learning starts when you start working the wood, put a bunch of time into a bow and then maybe it breaks,maybe not.  It's all good and then you get one that shoots good and then........Yeah !   You be at it now. Welcome to P.A. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington