Author Topic: Eucalyptus...Surrounded by the stuff...  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Mayan wolf

• Back to basics of marksmanship.
Eucalyptus...Surrounded by the stuff...
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:48 am »
Ok. This is my first topic post and I am new at this. But this is the problem. I live in San Bruno. The part that i live near is surrounded by Eucalyptus. Some have said that the type of tree is horrible for bows and anything else. Others have actually made bows from it. I have no idea how they shoot. I asked some friends and they said that "euc" makes "throw away bows". A very respectable and experienced bower suggested I post a topic asking. So here is my question: Is there any Aussie bowers out there that can give me tips to build a bow out of eucalyptus found in California. I think it is Eucalyptus globulus. I NEED HELP. Anything can be of help. 
Stealth over Power. Silence over Strength.

Offline bubby

Re: Eucalyptus...Surrounded by the stuff...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:45:42 am »
there is a lot of differant types of eucalyptus, some makes good bows and some don't, cut some dry it and see what happens, while your waiting on the wood to season, go to the lumberyard and get a hickory, maple or white oak board and make a few bows, i guarantee you can get one heck of a shooter from a board, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:37 am »
First off welcome!!! I shure hope someone can answer that for you, but if not there is no harm in trying, and than you can answer that when asked the next time  ;) i for one would love to know so if you do please keep the updates comming...good luck
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:59 am »
i think nomadic pirate posted a eucalyptus bow not to long ago, make a search and see if you can find it, i know it's listed in tim baker's bow woods list, Bub

Offline Mayan wolf

• Back to basics of marksmanship.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:45:08 pm »
Thanks to all of you. I plan to post pictures and update. All of you have been great help. I live in San Bruno, so i really dont know where to get hickory, which was my first choice. Any ideas? Thanks again fellow Archers.
Stealth over Power. Silence over Strength.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »
look in the yellow pages for hardwood suppliers, if you have no luck there, go to a custum cabinet shop, ask for their suppliers name, Bub