Author Topic: Found a perfectly straight log, can't figure out what it is  (Read 5506 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Greetings all,

I found a log on a hike through the woods today (pics below). It looks like it might make some awesome bows. It's perfectly straight, no exaggeration. The heartwood is clearly visible and well defined. There are no bumps or growths on the log, and it is solid, without bug holes anywhere. It was recently cut when the tree fell across a walking path, mostly likely last year.

There are unfortunately no leaves on the rest of the tree remains. I can tell you that it was over 30 feet tall, maybe 10 inches in diameter at the base, and very straight. Most of the branches appear to be at the top.

From the bark pattern, it looks like ash, but I've never seen an ash this perfectly straight before. It also sort of looks like tulip poplar, but I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking for help!

Jamie

The dark area pictured below is not rot - it's just muddy from where it was sitting.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

blackhawk

Re: Found a perfectly straight log, can't figure out what it is
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »
Since i know its not osage, yew, or locust and you got it off the ground its prob not good for bows....from the end cut it looks like rot fungus has already affected the first couple outer rings in the sapwood

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:04:21 pm »
Im saying cottonwood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
I would say possibly a hickory of some type. We don't have it precisely like that up here but the bark looks pretty hard and close enough to bitternut that it might fall in the hickory family.
 How heavy is it?
 You could split it and see what's going on inside it. Perhaps just exposed ends are affected and the side that was resting on the ground.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:52:13 am »
Split it !...split it !!.......split it ! ! !........ '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:24:42 am »
Myself, I would split it and remove the bark. I would not be surprised if insects have already destroyed most of the sapwood. Bugs do a great job at hiding their activities from the outside world...it's until you remove the bark that you can see how much sapwood they've digested already...
The heartwood might still be fine though, hard to say.

It does resemble ash a bit, but the heartwood is too big for ash. It could be hickory...but the end grain looks like oak to me...split it and take a picture of the wood inside! If all else fails...firewood! :)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:37 am »
My first thought was hickory, a year damage os more than likely done, bit split, strip and try you are out nothing but time ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:31 am »
Not sure where you live, but I'll vote for some kind of poplar or cottonwood also - then again, I've never seen a hickory tree.  :o
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:58 am »
Its hard to say just by lookin at the pics but my vote would be for some kinda hickory also. Judgin by the way the end of the log looks Id say the whole thing is eat up with fungus. Whitewoods dont last very long on the ground this time of year.

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:26 am »
My vote is poplar bark is wrong for hickory. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:24 am »
Sweetgum.
It is most doubtful that it will make a bow after a year on the ground.
Whitwood trees start to rot real fast when they are left out in the weather.

Sweetgum will make a fine bow if properly taken care of.

Peal the bark off the log and you will be able to see the damage that has set in.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Nifty

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
I'd vote for sweetgum as well. The bark looks right and the end grain is a dead ringer for sweetgum, and around here they usually grow arrow straight.

Try to split it, and if it makes you want to throw the entire log in the fire as-is, its probably sweetgum.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:48 pm »
after looking out my back window I'll go with what they said. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

1Brotherbill

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
First thing I thought was that it was a section of ash tree.  Hickory at that age is more smooth.  Ash starts to have the thicker grooves at that age. 

Split it and find out what you got.  If it doesn't look good then don't make a bow.  Even if it looks questionable then you might want to try anyway. 

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 11:43:04 pm »
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions, I've been neglecting my online activities somewhat.

The log was heavy, probably fifty or sixty pounds. It felt solid - and made a good dull sound when I hit it. Dropping it on the ground produced a nice thump, not the cruddy plop-crack when there is a lot of rot inside. So I have a good feeling about it.

I'm going to go with the stripping bark approach. You're all right, what have I got to lose? If it's rotted or bug riddled, I can always chop it up and have a little bonfire.

I'll take some pics when I'm done if there is anything interesting inside. Probably tomorrow.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.