Author Topic: Baby Steps  (Read 2307 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Baby Steps
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »
I didn't have a lot of time to knapp this weekend, but I spent the time I had working on thinning with percussion and some on ishi stick flaking.  I started with dacite (not sure where I got that) and got a point.  Then  I broke several more before finally getting a teardrop point last night out of something I'm sure I picked up off the tarp at Cross Plains.  Not sure what it is, but it's a pretty pink with some pretty lines through it.  That dacite is really nice to work with, I had a nice big preform about done and tried one of those basal thinning flakes.

There was enough left in the larger piece that I was able to finish out a 130gr hunting point.  I used the ishi almost exclusively.  I can see why so many youtube videos feature dacite as it works so nicely.  I stalled a couple flakes toward the end.  Then the last point is the first time I was able, with regular percussion, to thin a biface thin enough to finish.  It wasn't a large preform, but it was a thin one.  Was a little gun-shy on the base thinning so it was too thick there. I confess to using indirect on that one as I was so sick of breaking stuff by then I just wanted to get done.  Need to work on symmetry.  Normally I first see symmetry issues when I'm taking pictures of the finished point.  This was no exception.  Stalled out the notches badly on both of them.

Making progress, but sloooooooowly.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

Re: Baby Steps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:52:34 pm »
Lookin good George. Both are nice points. The pink may be Burlington.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »
They look good to me. At least you are taking baby steps. I'm not even crawling yet.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »
man!!!!!! you just keep getting better and better!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »
Nice points and they look arrow ready.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »
You're definitely using your time wisely. Nothing I hate worse than seeing someone do honey-do's when they could be making gravel!!   ;D

Nice job on them two, George! That pink rock is burlington and came from a creek in western IL (i believe.)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »
Yes Sir George!!!

Those points Look Mighty Fine to me!

I picked up some of that Dacite and Burlington from the Debitage Pile out at Cross Plains as well...
Have some pretty decent Preforms made up but the two points I finished (Argggg!) were Baseless as I kept loosing length trying to wrangle Basal Thinning...

ARGGG!  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »
Very nicely done George.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:12:13 pm »
I don't see nothin wrong with the symetry on that black one George - looking darn good! If that pink ain't burlington then it's some of that Kay county that byron had.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:47:57 pm »
Shhhhhh I thought we were not tell anyone lol. 

You're definitely using your time wisely. Nothing I hate worse than seeing someone do honey-do's when they could be making gravel!!   ;D

Nice job on them two, George! That pink rock is burlington and came from a creek in western IL (i believe.)
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:06 pm »
Hehe, I mean eastern IL...  ::)

anyways I remember pickin that piece up cause of the wavy lines in it. Only rock that I've seen with those "contour" lines. Glad you made it pretty George!!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:42:58 am »
It was a straight sided cobble about the size of my fist.  I was hoping to get several large flakes out of it to make more points from, but nearly all the thinning flakes broke into multiple pieces.  I ended up getting two spalls I think might still have points in them.  They are marked better than the point I made was.

I might take those 2 over to Eddie's later this week.  Maybe one of the Florida guys can make something special from them.

George
St Paul, TX