Author Topic: first three glass tries all broken  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
first three glass tries all broken
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:31:39 am »
sadly they both broke before their time (not inside a deer!), but also not even close to being finished!
i cant figure out how to get them sharp... tapering to a edge eludes me yet :-\
i just dont get how you lift a flake from the middle,to taper to the edge...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:54:17 am by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Re: first three glass tries all broken
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:00 am »
i couldnt figure out how to make a conchoidal fracture, i thought it was created by pressure from the middle of the point (no reason to think that, just a hunch) but then i tapped the edge and a circular piece came off ;D ;D ;D ;D
i was very happy, i had looked at all the books and none told what motion to use ::)
, well here is the result of that learning, but as is tradition i ended up breaking it :'(
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:48:00 am »
yb2, check out paleomanjim, he does a great series for the begginer, including bottle bottoms, lots of good info to see, and it's alot easyer to learn it that way, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:23 am »
Agreed.. Jim Winn seems to be able to knap anything. You need to build up some convexity before trying to go to center. Take shorter flakes all the way around the edges on both sides before shooting one to center. Your odds will greatly increase :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:23:30 am »
What couwboy said. It looks like you are using a fairly think piece of glass and trying for big flaks right from the start. Shearch for threads talking about zigzagging slabs. Once you run a zigzag pattern down the edge, understand the importance of the centerline and how to build a platform, the rest will come easier.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
I get how to make shorter flakes, but when you flake one to the middle, does that mean that you go under the earlier flake or do you follow the earlier flake?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
After you stitch the edges (zig zag). Meaning you pop a small flake one side then flip your piece and small flake other side back and forth until you have a stitched edge. Then all your deltas should be at the point of a ridge between two of your small flakes on either side. Stiffen up your delta with an abrader and run flakes along your ridges to center. Clear as mud? Watch the youtube :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »
Cowboys right. The only thing I could add is don't force them. You'll break it. Apply enough force to detach the flake. If you are or feel you are applying too much pressure back off & take a better look at your platform. I cut my teeth on old glass! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:19 am »
I started on an old tv tube ...broke every bit of it with nothing to show but a piece lodged in my index finger ...still waiting for that one to dislodge from the bone :'( and since i have demolished everything i get my hands on at least 95% that is some turn out and it feels awsome! !! Good luck
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...