Author Topic: Microwave bending  (Read 3220 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Microwave bending
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »
Been doing my bending for yrs using a microwave, wanted to show you how effective it is......  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTFw8Ol2o4&feature=related
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Dauntless

Re: Microwave bending
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:53 pm »
Looks like there is a fair bit of spring back when takes the pieces out of the mould. Would recurves eventually unravel if made this way?
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »
That is pretty cool but could you put reflex in a bow that way(wondering how u fit a bow in the microwave  ???)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:00:38 pm »
Most woods will have some spring back. I use it mainly for straightning limbs, and yes you can recurve bows quite easily, I have never had one unravel.

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:01:26 pm »
Slicker than cat snot!!!!

Offline Nifty

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
How do you get a bow in the microwave?

Genuinely curious - not trying to be a smart(ypants).
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:30:48 pm »
I delved pretty deep while researching this and I found a pic of a microwave oven in someones shop that had a hole or two in it, any concerns about radiation leaking out?
I guess that you would plug the edges of the hole... Still not entirely convinced(safety wise)

-Billy
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:43 pm »
It's not like if it's big time nuclear fallout radiation. Microwave burns can cause internal bleeding and a bunch of nasty stuff but no real risk of cancer.  I'd plug those holes too...
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »
had a bud who used one for just this for sometime
until the first time the microwave arched and burned a smoking hole right thru the limb before he could get it shut off
he never used it again....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:16:15 pm »
Microwaves are not nuclear! Microwaves agatate water molecules. Have you ever put a empty glass in a microwave??? It will not get hot it NEEDS water.

The shop pics are mine, and the holes are stuffed with wet rags after the wood is put in it, and it contains the waves.

As to the hole burned through the wood....I would have to see that to believe it......I have NEVER seen anything remotely close happen to what you describe.

Take a piece of paper "dry" stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes NOTHING WILL HAPPEN the paper being dry will not conduct heat because of a lack of water. If there is any grease it will heat up, and THAT may start it to burn......but otherwise nothing!

Brian

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:14 am »
I actually came across that video on my own one day and I am also curious about how a bow would fit in a microwave....
Plays With Bow and Arrow

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 01:17:53 am »
Microwaves are not nuclear! Microwaves agatate water molecules. Have you ever put a empty glass in a microwave??? It will not get hot it NEEDS water.

The shop pics are mine, and the holes are stuffed with wet rags after the wood is put in it, and it contains the waves.

As to the hole burned through the wood....I would have to see that to believe it......I have NEVER seen anything remotely close happen to what you describe.

Take a piece of paper "dry" stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes NOTHING WILL HAPPEN the paper
being dry will not conduct heat because of a lack of water. If there is any grease it will heat up, and
THAT may start it to burn......but otherwise nothing!

Ooh, you know, now that I think of it, I learned that in science class last year... I guess I listen to too
many old wives tales. :P ::)

Brian

Offline randman

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:58 am »
Viney, what I think is even more awesome is your bending machine! I am definitely copying that one!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.