Author Topic: Newb question about spine and arrow wood selection!  (Read 3039 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Newb question about spine and arrow wood selection!
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:39:11 pm »
I know that most of my questions are probably addressed somewhere and I've been looking but thought maybe someone could answer all my questions quicker this way. 

So I understand that spine is the stiffness of the shaft and you can test that to match your draw weight.  Where I'm confused is why the weight of the tip changes the stiffness of the shaft or spine. 

I've made some arrows using oak boards cut to 1/2 by 1/2 blanks and then using a dowel cutter.  I haven't spined them but I plan to with the spine tester sticky.  Is there a way to make them more uniform if there are major differences?  I've been shooting them and I do have my favorites so they are probably significantly different.  I have a Home Depot and a Lowe's so I can get red oak, poplar, basswood, garden stakes and pine.  Would one of these be the best one for arrows using a dowel cutter or going with the boo stakes?

I've been using tru-flight fletching and fletching tape I've ordered online but I'm not a big fan of that so I'm going to try the turkey feather route and sinew most likely.  Do you have any recommendations for finding the feathers?  I see them in trade some but I'm a newb so not bringing a lot of assets to the situation yet.

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.  This site is awesome and I've learned tons.  Planning to get some bamboo shafts and turkey feathers as soon as I can to advance my skill set and check out the bamboo.  I'm loving the back to basics and do it yourself approach to this hobby/addiction/sport and hope to one day be able to help others like I've been helped.  Thanks again guys.
Kevin

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Newb question about spine and arrow wood selection!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »
Where I'm confused is why the weight of the tip changes the stiffness of the shaft or spine. 

As the point gets heavier that puts more mass on the end of the arrow. This mass forces the arrow to bend more when you release the sting. (Look up Newton's law about mass and motion). "A body at rest tends to stay at rest, a body in motion tends to stay in motion".

As the point gets lighter, less mass to get moving so the shaft does not flex as much.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:54:35 pm »
I suggest boo or poplar over any other material you mentioned.  As far as feathers, trade for them here or buy them on-line. They are everywhere for sale. Killing a turkey is always a safe bet, thats my route.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:28 pm »
An easy way to "see" what spine means:  Imagine the arrow pushing against a cinderblock sitting on a table top.  The weight of the cinderblock would cause the arrow to "bow" or bend somewhat before it begins to push the cinderblock.  But as you add force to the shaft, the block starts to move.  Pretty soon you shove the cinderblock off the table leaving some bad scratches that you have to explain to the Mrs. 

Now take the same arrow and push it against two cinderblocks.  How far is it gonna bend now?  Much more, because there is more mass resisting the thrust being applied at the back of the arrow. 

Of course, the subsequent scratches in the table top will be deeper just as the hole you have dug yourself with the Mrs is deeper as well.   Don't ask me how I know this.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rmcpb

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:26 am »
When making your shafts is the time to test the spine and get uniformity. Make one of the simple spine testers. Find an arrow that shoots well from your bow and test its spine. As you plane/sand the new shafts keep popping them on the spine tester till they give the same reading as your good arrow and you are off and running.

As for suitable woods, I would avoid the heavy hardwoods and go for the lighter woods like pine, poplar or the maple/ash family. I make many arrows out of shoots from our claret ash and they are great.

Good luck with your hobby.
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:23:00 pm »
Thanks for all of the information.  I've definitely noticed that the few POC arrows I have fly so much truer than the oak ones I made. 
Kevin

Offline 1000000volts

hi good question, think about it to the extreme,imagine a 1 pound arrow head on a skinny shaft.it will bend and snap ..you got to get the right balance,.....no arrow head needs a weak spine,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,A 1 ton arrow head on a 8mm oak shaft,will snap and land on your toes.my only advice is trial and error .its a very good question that needs to be rectified. personally i try and make my heads all the same weight and size,the rest is just guess work...and excuse me i am pissed,6 pints of cider.....goodnight,..

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »
Don't ask me how I know this.
why not?  :) :) :)
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"