Author Topic: Bamboo backed yew  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Dauntless

Bamboo backed yew
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »
A couple years back I found a live edged board of pacific yew with few knots and what seemed like a good rpi count. I tried a longbow with the live edge and quickly found out the grain twisted a fair bit (30 degree angle to the orientation of the board). The longbow exploded through a thin cotton backing. The rest of the board was ripped up for a bamboo backed job (this bow) and two short sinew backed recurves.

This bow, like many others spent years as a floor tillered blank till I finished her up a few weeks ago. Got my hands on a cheap camera and had a couple pics taken.

She is 67½" nock to nock, 1 1/8" wide for most of the limb and 50lbs at 28". This was my first bamboo backing, at she is thicker than the yew from the midlimbs to the tips. I wasn't too sure about the quality of the yew so the backing is trapped to about 2/3 its original width. It's a straight glue up, took 1" of set. Total weight is 367 grams with an 8" non bending handle.

Nock overlays are bloodwood, handle is birch bark secured with sinew. Finish is linseed oil (natural stuff, no drying agent) rubbed in with steel wool.

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Bamboo backed yew
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »
Nice job with that board, Dauntless. What glue did you use for the glue up? Just curious if it was an epoxy or a TB product.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:16:38 pm »
Either an epoxy or Titebond 3. The glue up was back in early 2010...
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »
Nice work Dauntless!! I love the handle wrap!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:04 pm »
That is a very classy looking bow. great job
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:51:04 pm »
Sweet bow. I like the wrap too.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
Nice work.
That's a combo I'll be trying soon, I have some Oregon Yew with sap wood bug damage, also got a nice slat of boo.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.