Author Topic: Im Making A Documentary.. Help Please  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Im Making A Documentary.. Help Please
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:39 am »

.... it if doesn't fit, polish the hell out of it! ;D   
That's a keeper :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 10:11:31 am »
Sorry, this is off topic, but I agree with JW, and it saddens me that the Olympics will only be hosting target archery which is a pretty boring spectacle and there are people pressing to include compounds >:(. Field archery would be so much more entertaining, in fact they could combine it with the mountain biking course  >:D.... bloke in gorilla costume pedals past... twack thud :laugh:
Del
Good idea there Del....... ;D ;D

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
These guys are right. There isnt that much to say about the long bow in English martial history that hasnt been said before, and in 15 minutes, very little you can do. But you can blow them away if you take a very novel approach to all this. Remember that a documentary is a story, and good storytelling is the key, not a regurgitation of many, many other shows you may have seen. A turning point can be huge and splashy, like the Guttenberg press or the invention of penecillan or the invention of the steam engine or the invention of the atomic bomb, or something really subtle that took a long time to become obviously important and world changing. And who says turning points have to be giant, anyway? The invention of the potatoe chip is an example I can think of that revolutionized the world and is now contributing to heart disease and all that bad stuff, but was just a chef's frustration with a difficult customer at the resort he cooked at, or the hot dog bun, which was only because a sausage vendor at a fair got tired of having customers steal his white gloves and the high cost of laundering them.

Wench, stickbender. We all need wenches.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
Wenches, and scwewdwivews too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:22:32 pm »
Another little known factoid: The US Army did some experimenting with archery in WWII for some of the recon people.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:56 am »
Another little known factoid: The US Army did some experimenting with archery in WWII for some of the recon people.
Even more unknown.
Captain Jack Churchill actually used a bow to kill a German soldier in the retreat to Dunkirk in WWII 1940.
Here's an edited extract of the account from E.G Heath's 'Archery a Military History'.
" He was in command of a mixed force holding the village of L'Epinette, near Bethune...
Climbing into the loft of a small granary they saw, some thirthy yards away, five German soldiers sheltering behind a wall but in clear view of the granary. He fetched two infantry men and instructed them to open rapid fire, but not until he had loosed an arrow at the centre man...
At the same time as the bow string twanged the air was shattered by the rapid fire of the two infantry men.
Captain Churchill was delighted to see his arrow stricke the centre German in the left of the chest..."

He'd been a member of the British team in the World Archery Championship in Oslo in 1939
In the War Diary of the 4th Infanty brigade it states
"One of the reasurring sights of the embarkation was Captain Churchill passing down the beach with his bow and arrows!..."
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Loki

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »

Jack Churchill thought a soldier was underdressed if he wasnt carrying a sword.If you read about him he was a prime soldier (mad as a hatter though).He was thoroughly annoyed with the 'yanks' when they dropped their Atom bombs as he thought he could have had another good ten years of fighting with the 'Japs'
His words not mine....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:41:42 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 12:30:21 am »

Del,  excellent idea, we could convince the bunny huggers to dress up in those suits, as a protest to archery. ;)  Take care of two birds with one arrow. ;) ::)  Dane, thanks for illuminating the spelling error for me.  I didn't catch it when I proof read it.  But it be fixatated now, and I polished it really well. ;D ;D ;D  At my age, it may be that I might need a "winch" in the future..... ::) And a screw driver as well, JW.  ;)
Boy, ol Mad jack was a character, I don't think I would want to have commanding me! :o  "Private, be a good lad, and go and fetch my arrow, from the body, of that poor unsuspecting Bosch, Chap, and step lively now."  Too bad he had the infantry men shoot, so soon, it spoiled the shocked, and confused look on their faces, when they saw their companion sprouting feathers, on a stick! :o ???  Goot himmel, vas is los mit dat?  Red neck translation,... Whut the hell?  I think the Brits, had used crossbows, on a few commando raids.  Not sure.  I know there was a movie, where they did, but with Holly Wood, anything is possible.   ;)
But all of this aside, I wish a winning story, for you Will, and with a last name like Carothers, what better subject to write about? ;)

Wayne