Author Topic: Need help on mushroom id please.  (Read 2667 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Need help on mushroom id please.
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »
I was wondering if anyone out there could positively id a mushroom for me. I think that they are field mushroom tho. They are completely white with pink gills and i see them in my yard all the time. If they are indeed edible then i will be one happy guy cause i love me some mushrooms.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline SA

Re: Need help on mushroom id please.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:33 pm »
i don't eat anything that i don't know FOR SURE what it is ,thats why i just get them at the store :D better safe than sorry.
Shawn Acker

Offline Kpete

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:35:55 pm »
I was told never to eat a mushroom unless someone who knows has showed you in person what is edible-and that they are willing to eat them with you.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:51:51 pm »
Can you post a picture. I have a mushroom guide I can check. I would be VERY cautious though. Do you see any rodents eating them? If nothing is eating them, there might be a very good reason!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »
these are different they are completely white on the inside NO GILLS

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:52 pm »
Drop it and wash your hands!!
That matches Amanita Verosa (Destroying Angel) - listed as Deadly Poisonous!

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
Drop it and wash your hands!!
That matches Amanita Verosa (Destroying Angel) - listed as Deadly Poisonous!

Thanks bevan for the info those werent the ones i was intrested in but its good to know whats growin in my own yard. the ones i was interested in are all white with pink gills that turn brown as it gets bigger and older.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:13:17 am »
I looked in my book and the only mushrooms that listed as White with Pink gills are listed as poison. sorry.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:56 am »
McGinnis6010,
The white shrooms with no gills could be a puffball mushroom. They look similar to a golf ball. They are edible and are excellent eating. Do a lot of looking and be certain what you have in your hands. Look at this; Lycoperdaceae

A group of us ate some mushrooms we identified in a mushroom book that were listed as edible. After eating them, one of us read the small print and saw that the edible one is exactly like the slightly poisonous type. The poisonous type would grow in a circle in fields and were called "fairy rings". The ones we ate were the poisonous type. Two of the six that ate them got a little nauseous. We were lucky.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:40 am »
The gilled one - You have to ID it with a spore print, gill structure, etc... - if it's an amanita, you're prolly dead. If not, It's a run o' the mill $2 a pound store variety agaricus. Not worth the chance!

I read the guides, have a Bio degree, and a microscope, but still don't mess with any non-wood growing gilled 'shrooms.

The immature puffball one is edible tho. Younger = better.  Oysters, sulphur shelf (young) , hen of the woods (AKA maitake), morels, and some boletes are the only ones I mess with.   

You can grow some oysters or shitake in logs for about 30 bucks, with online "plug spawn"  -  it's fun n easy if u can get oak braches 4-6" diameter. Lemme know if u  try, I'll give ya some tips.

Good luck  ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »
heres another one i found its  brown with brown gills and a light brown stem.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »
I have found some puffballs too but they are brown and kind of papery.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:37 am »
There is a website called mushroom observer post a picture of any mushroom you want to know about and they ID it, but remember if your not sure throw it out. I think the first one looks like a puff ball to me, when posting pictures of mushrooms for id get a picture of the stem, top of cap and underside of cap wether it be gills or pores. Also note where you found it the enviroment plants trees and such near by, the smell and how the stem breaks ect. The more info you can get the better when iding mushrooms. I have david arroras (mushrooms demistified) and it is a great guide to iding mushrooms but if everything doesnt match throw it out.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)