Author Topic: First Bow in Awhile! (Build-Along of sorts..lots of pics!)  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
First Bow in Awhile! (Build-Along of sorts..lots of pics!)
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:47:49 am »
Well I finally got some shed-time these past few weeks!!   :laugh: :laugh:

I started this bow because I accidentally locked myself out of the house and had to wait until my wife got home from work to let me in.  Since I couldn't get in I broke into my workshop instead and started chasing a ring on this piece of Osage that R H Clark traded to me for one of my flutes.

I had the first half of the stave finished by the time my wife made it home. (around an hour after I locked myself out) and I finished chasing the other half the next day.  I had the bow roughed in that afternoon. 

After I roughed it in and got it semi floor-tillered, I heat treated it a little and got out some of the dips and dives and aligned the tips.  I let it sit a week after this.  I heated around 1.5 inches of reflex in.

After a week was up I went back to long string tillering.  I forgot to take photos of this process but I do it about the same as the rest of you guys, get it bending evenly and as soon as possible get it to low brace.  That's when the flaws in your tillering so far REALLY jump out at you!   :)  I proceded to tiller it out to around 24 inches or so and got it to half brace when I gave it its final heat treating.

I gave it another week to re-hydrate before bending it any more but I took this time to glue on tip overlays and an arrow pass and to get my handle shaped.  Alot of folks like to wait until the bow is finished before this step but I like to do it while I am waiting for it to re-hydrate.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Here's a picture of the tip overlays as i was shaping and narrowing them.  I put one of my 11/32 shafts in the pic for size reference.

After it sat for a week I went back to tillering.  It finished out at 55 lbs @ 28"...63" NtN. It has around 1/2 inch of string follow just after un-bracing which comes out in around an hour to sit dead flat.  I had problems with this bow trying to take set as I built it.. I don't know if it is because it was cut last year and hasn't seasoned good yet or what but it seemed to take on more set than any other bow I have made from Osage... weird.  ???  That is why I heat treated it twice.  ;D I used fast flight string on this bow for the first time and I tell ya I am gonna use it on all the rest of them too.  Good stuff. 

I named her "Beauty Mark" because of the one pin knot she has in the top fade and the other pin knot she has in the bottom limb mid-limb. Hope you like her.  It was my first build in about 6 months so hope the tiller looks alright to you guys.. It looks good to me. Thanks for looking!   :) :) :) :)   Pics of finished bow in the next post.  -josh

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:55:56 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: First Bow in Awhile! (Build-Along of sorts..lots of pics!)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:51:03 am »

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:56:34 am »
Great tiller on that one!!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:01:08 am »
thank you Misslemaster!  :)  I use a tillering tree with a rope and pulley system so I can see the bend in action.  I also take photos of my tiller while drawing the bow by hand as I go because it helps me see stuff I miss while it is on the tree.  :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 01:03:26 am »
Doesn't look like you forgot anything Josh! Love it ! Sweet tiller and bends. Ought to bring home the venison.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:38 am »
Looks great to me!  Thanks for all the tips, especially the one about locking yourself out of the house.  I'll definitely be using that one!  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:20:22 am »
Boy Josh, you ripped through that build along. I guess you needed the fix.  ;)   Nice work. You got about all the bend out of that stave.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:14 am »
Thanks Tracy! ...just like riding a bicycle!   :)

Thank you Adam!  Locking yourself out of the house is a good way to get the grass cut and the bushes trimmed as well.  ;D

Thank you Pat! I had all the photos taken as I went, just didn't have the time (or courage  :o )  to sit down and post them as I went.  And YESSSS!!!!! I really needed to get my bowmaking fix after spending the past 8 months inside changing diapers. :D

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:34 am »
Looks good Josh , except for the arrow rest on the wrong side ;D. Oh yeah Roll Tide ! >:D
You still in Fultondale ?
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:40:10 am »
LOL thanks, Jeff... WAR EAGLE!!!!  ;D ...yep still in Fultondale

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:55:29 am »
Nice Josh!  That's a fine use of time while being locked out.  I will have to try that excuse and see if the wife buys it.  I ain't getting caught up in that Alabama/Auburn stuff.....  lol! I live in a house divided.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 04:03:48 am »
real glad to see you back at it, you build some sweet a** bows, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:20 am »
Love the bend on that one! Nice job!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:17:14 am »
Real nice job, Josh. What are the tips made of?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
Wow! Very impressive. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!