Author Topic: rocky mountain juniper  (Read 5759 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
rocky mountain juniper
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:27:27 am »
Just wondering if anyone has made bows from rocky mountain juniper, and was hoping for some tips on seasoning it and general layout would be best for this wood (wide and flat / thin and thick /shorter vs longer). I have heard that using the top side of a limb is generally better for hardwoods but that for evergreens, the bottom of the limb is better?? Anyone with experience with any other this, I would sure appreciate any advice/info. Thanks a lot.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: rocky mountain juniper
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:58 pm »
I love juniper. Probably cuz it is the best wood that grows where I am. I use Rocky mt and Utah. When you cut it seal the ends and remove the bark for beetles. At this point either seal the whole log so it does not split, or split it to staves right away. Sapwood is the most trouble free and best in my opinion. I always back it with sinew. Most juniper self bows dont last to long. Juniper is a great compression wood and makes a fast sinew bow

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »
Thanks! Have you had better luck using limbs (top or bottom?) or main trunks?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »
Uncleduck, I've made several Juniper bows. Prefer, using top of the limbs and I always try for just a touch of heartwood in the belly.  One of the best woods for a sinew backed shorty.  The longer juniper bows that I have made have been a little sluggish. That may be because I have a short draw length.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »
Well here is the limb I cut and sealed today, tell me what you think.  Its the top of the limb, right around 59" long right now and has about 4" natural reflex at each end. I am a little nervous about the two natural "canyons" that are grown into it.  I'm not sure whether I should try to split it again to eliminate the "canyons", run them thru the center and pray, or just cut it and use the other end as a billet. I planned on backing with sinew regardless of which route I take.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:55:02 am »
I'd be a tad afraid of those canyons myself.  Different wood, like osage, might work fine, but the junipers are grenades when they blow...

Mike

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:41:19 am »
That is what I was thinking also. With this being my first time using juniper, I think I will just keep looking for a better piece to start with to increase my chances of making something useful that doesn't blow up in my face.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:24:55 pm »
how deep are the canyons? can you just rip the sapwood off and then sinew it?

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »
I don't know enough about Juniper to say anything about it. I ave built one Juniper bow and was great to work with and made a fine bow.

As far as the character go's I would go for just to see if it would take it but that's just me LOL I have a bit of a tendency to push things a little far sometimes but with wood bows I figure if you never try it you'll never know. Plus they grow new bow staves every day LOL
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway