Author Topic: Sinew Backed Yew Recurve  (Read 36108 times)

Offline juskatla

Re: Sinew Backed Yew Recurve
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 02:31:54 am »
Gordon- thank you for taking all that time to post this. I've been happily watching the progress and have a couple belated questions if you don't mind.

When you bent the hot boiled recurve tips in the form - how did you set up and handle the temporary rawhide backing which you used to prevent splinters - given that the bend  has to be done efficiently and quickly - just pinch it under the bow tip against the form and stretch it tight by hand as you bent the heated bow tip to shape?

And- who makes those black form fitting hunting shoes/mocassins you were wearing in some of the pictures? They look really great- if i can judge from the picture anyway. I generally wear bare feet when hunting because nothing else is as quiet - but where I live (northwest coast of  Canada - I can see the southern tip of Alaska across the water right now) this is generally a cold, wet and painful experience. I've been dreaming of some footwear like that  for years but didn't know it was invented already...
  Tyson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:42 am »
Now that's a beauty,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:50 pm »
Juskatla,

just pinch it under the bow tip against the form and stretch it tight by hand as you bent the heated bow tip to shape?

That is exactly how I did it.

For the footwear, do an Internet search on Vibram FiveFingers. I do use these for hunting as they are very quiet and let me feel the terrian beneath my feet while I am stalking game.

Hey thank you Pappy!
Gordon

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:40 am »
this is a beautiful bow and deff the nicest handle very good work

cwbuchanan

Offline PeteC

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 10:19:11 am »
Wow! That turned out very nice Gordon. I really like that one. Great work. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Gordon

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 12:48:33 am »
I took this bow hunting with me into the mountains of NE Oregon to hunt for elk. I am pleased to report that she made meat. I harvested a beautiful 6 x 5 elk. That's my hunting buddy Chuck in the background whose help was instrumental in killing and recovering this fine animal. More pictures and stories to come.

Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 12:53:00 am »
Wow! way to go, Gordon! I can't wait to hear the whole story. I'm going to have to live vicariously through you this year.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 01:45:02 am »
kudos Gordo!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:41 am »
I am looking forward to this story. Congratulations Gordon!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:52 am »
well,a GREAT bowyer deserves a GREAT bull...and that bow is so fine it should make meat...what a BLESSING...congrats to both of you guys on good team work...it was dave last year and you this year..cant wait to see what keenan has to say...john

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 09:00:32 am »
Way to go, Gordon. With all the time and sweat that went into that bow, you deserve taking that fine animal. Congrats!! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:55 am »
Oh my! what a beautiful bow! You always turn out really nice stuff there Gordon!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
Well done Gordon, well done!!!!!

From start to finish excellent!!!!

Beautiful Bow and beautiful BULL!!!!!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline boughnut

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »
that is awsome gordon nothing better than a plan coming together like that, you desrved it bud nice bull I am very invious of both bull and bow.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »
Gordon, so glad to see you connected with a real nice one!  After I saw how well you shoot that bow, I knew it would just be a matter of one of those bulls making a mistake and coming within range of that bow!   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso