Author Topic: New project  (Read 4544 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: New project
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »
I have a white ash stave in the rafters and im wondering about how good it is, seams that it is kinda thick as compared to other woods for the draw weight...do you find rhat to be the case as well?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »
i know what you mean PD, last week i started shooting everyday again, allready getting better, and them shaft's i got from you shoot like a dream man, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
You got that right Soybean. Ash, hackberry, maple and the like all take more wood to make a 50# bow than say osage, elm or HHB. Heat tempering helps reduce mass and keep the speed up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »
Thanks, had some concerns u go flat or rounded belly? Not trying to hijack ...sweet start on tbat one
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:03 pm »
Flatter the better. Ash is much stronger in tension than compression so the belly needs all the help it can get. Trapping the back is an option, although Im not a trapper myself. I prefer tempering the belly while reflexing and straightening the blank.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 07:09:53 pm »
I know it's an OLD one, ...but did this nice piece of ASH ever get to become a bow???

I am waiting for software to load at work, so I went scrongeing through old posts...

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:22 am »
Nope. Its still in its same form under my bench. Maybe someday Ill get bored and tear it up....or give it away.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:31 am »
Ill take it ;0)
Nothing ventured nothing gained