Author Topic: Newbie on board  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Tom Kurth

Newbie on board
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:43 am »
Hi all, Have enjoyed this site occasionally over the last couple years and finally decided to join in. Am working on my fifth bow now. All have been self bows. The first one I made about two years ago. Red oak longbow, kept spoiling growth rings and ended up with a 30# kid's bow. Learned a lot. Recently came across a good board at work (I'm a cabinetmaker.) 6/4" hickory, big enough for two staves. On the first one, another longbow, 67", I ran into some worm holes, by the time I chased them out I had another 30# kid's bow. Then I worked on a handled hickory flat bow. The growth rings ran off center near the meeting of handle and one limb. Turned into an unconquerable hinge. Ugly, nasty, terrible learning experience. Back to the sister stave of bow #2. Managed to avoid the worm holes--they ended up on the belly. 69", draws about 45# at 30". Shot it flight style last weekend, about 145 yards. Bow #5 is out of beech. I assumed that a good steam bending wood would be good bow wood, then I searched on here and found out different. But I persevered. It's 52" and I have not yet strung it. Ringchasing diffuse-porous wood is not up there high on the list of fun things to do on a Saturday night. I can already tell it doesn't have the springy nature of oak or hickory, but it looks pretty! So it won't have the depth of draw that I wished for. We'll soon see what happens. Probably splinters. lol

You need to know, I'm neither an archer or a hunter. I have an interest in history, but my interest in bowyery is as  a woodworker: It is all about the wood.

Best,
Tom
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Newbie on board
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:17:09 am »
Welcome to the great addiction !!
Have fun !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:21:58 am »
Welcome aboard!

Ugh, on the fifth already? I still can't wrap my head around my first...  ::)

See you around!
Vannon, että osun omenaan!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:11 am »
Welcome, Tom. Sounds like you're off to a great start!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:12:47 pm »
   welcome and remember to have fun.  >:D :) :)

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »
Hi Tom

When I started building bows, I too was neither an archer nor a hunter.  Still not a hunter.  Maybe someday, but not today.   

Welcome.

Russ

Offline Tom Kurth

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
Thanks for the welcome words. Worked on the beech bow at lunch and breaks at work all week. Brought it home and went out to the shop for a little tillering tonight. The beech bow is no more having been rather catastrophically reduced to splinters. It was not fated to be a bow and I failed to hear its voice. C'est la vie.

Best,
Tom
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:35 am »
Welcome to your new addiction

You cannot make bows if you never break bows....it is all just a learning process most of us forgot hundreds of years ago.

Grab another board and get started on the next one

Grandpa Bill
Aim Small - Hit Small - Repeat