Author Topic: Boo backed hickory question  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Boo backed hickory question
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:18 pm »
My first time using boo backing,Bow is shooting very well,but the boo I had is not quite as wide as the back of the bow,making it not so pretty. Can I cover it with a snake skin or something to pretty it up? Dont know the weight,(scale broke) but its 50+ #  for sure. its 63" ntn draw length is 26" 
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boo backed hickory question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
You can trap the bow by beveling the sides so they are wide at the belly and narrower at the back. Boo is too strong for a hickory belly IMO so trapping would be appropriate to relieve some of the tension stresses on the hickory.  When you trap it you want the sides to look like this... /   \ 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »
I have made several bamboo backed hickory bows, all 1 1/4" wide. If you have this width in your bamboo I would sand down the hickory to the size of the bamboo. With bamboo backed bows you don't need much width.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »
Thanks ,,It covers most of the limb all the way,at the fades is where it is to narrow,,ill measure it out and see.I assume this will take a little weight away?  It is a little heavy anyway
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does