Author Topic: Recent Work  (Read 7572 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Recent Work
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:57 pm »
Looks like retirement is treating you well Steve! Great looking bunch of bows, and I would agree about the tight ring Osage.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:07 pm »
Look forward to meeting you in Tennessee.
1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:56:31 pm »
  Parnell, we met at mojam a few years ago, I shared camp with you and a few other guys. I was the guy with no shirt on working on a 50# black locust stave all day long.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 11:02:07 am »
You've been busy Steve, thanks for posting.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:43 am »
Two weeks!! 

Now that's production  :)

I'd love to shoot that 40 !!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
Steve, It is always a pleasure to see your work. Thanks for sharing

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »
Very nice looking bows! Im gonna say  i like the 2nd from the bottom, lots of character!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:33 pm »
Nice collection Steve, out of interest do you just make bows for the fun of it or do these have a grand purpose.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 08:21:29 pm »
NICE!  A few weeks of work?  wow.   That would be about 6 months for me.....

Nice work!  Thanks for sharing.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
  Ian, to be perfectly honest I think I am addicted to making bows. I just make them for entertainment and seldom even finish them off. Lately I have had more time and have been finishing more of them with true oil and handle wraps. I just enjoy experiencing the behavior of the wood. Every piece of wood is different and I feel like it is a challenge to keep some kind of control over what is happening with it. I don't work very precision, and I don't worry about anything being too perfect, as long as the wood doesn't break down and the bow shoots and handles well I feel like mission accomplished. I am always on the lookout for an exceptional specimen that might have some flight bow potential. I guess I make bows instead of watching TV.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 08:38:57 pm »
Hi Badger,

Must have been one of my relatives as I haven't been to Mojam, yet.  Anyhow, we're going to see if we can't find you a different type of wood to work with...
1’—>1’

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »
That is some inspiration right there.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:23 am »
  Ian, to be perfectly honest I think I am addicted to making bows. I just make them for entertainment and seldom even finish them off. Lately I have had more time and have been finishing more of them with true oil and handle wraps. I just enjoy experiencing the behavior of the wood. Every piece of wood is different and I feel like it is a challenge to keep some kind of control over what is happening with it. I don't work very precision, and I don't worry about anything being too perfect, as long as the wood doesn't break down and the bow shoots and handles well I feel like mission accomplished. I am always on the lookout for an exceptional specimen that might have some flight bow potential. I guess I make bows instead of watching TV.

Wow Steve, you have the same ailment that I have!!! Better get that looked at!....LOL
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 03:03:51 am »
Hey Steve, I sent you a PM, I guess you didn't get it or something. I was wondering though if any of the Osage bows were made from some of the stuff I sold you last year. I was wondering how good it has been for you. I have only made a couple from Osage cut in the area that I cut yours.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:39 am »
  Knots, the second bow from the top might be one of those staves, I rememeber it was good wood but I can't remember what bows I made from it.