Author Topic: new to bow making- first stave  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Justin Steele

new to bow making- first stave
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:21 am »
This is my first attempt at building a bow. I went out and cut a hickory tree then roughed it in with a hatchet. There are a few knots in it-which I'm sure will give me trouble but this is my first bow and I want to use what I have. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline SA

Re: new to bow making- first stave
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:50 am »
the knots on the side are what might give ya trouble  , be carefull not to cut into them, try to leave some wood around them . if there towards the tips you might be able to just cut'em out when you taper down 8'' or 10'' or so ::) . other than that looks like a good little stick,have fun and enjoy the process. :)

oh and you might want to strap it down to a 2x4 or something while it drys so you don't have a twisted warped stave in a few months .
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:37:02 am by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline Justin Steele

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:53:56 am »
Thanks for the tip on strapping it down. I'm wanting to build a simple d bow and am hoping that the taper of my bow will wind up inside of the knot (the one on the side) as opposed to through it but I'm not really sure. If it ends up being directly in the way what would I do? Make a wider bow? Use it for firewood? Thanks for the advice.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:29 am »
It looks to me like you have quite a bunch of wood to work with. I would strap it down, slide it under the bed, look for more wood, start on arrows.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:14:59 am »
And so it begins...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:36:56 am »
i'd rough it out a little more till its bending slightly when floor tillered. It'll dry faster. I can't really tell how much wood you have on that stave though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline RDK

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
just to add......take your time with the side knots like sa said...especially if you decide to rough it out a bit more......  there are some excellent pics that have been posted showing how to deal with--knotty problems......

enjoy!!!
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:26 pm »
If you have access to more wood I would go find something much cleaner to try your first bow with. Hickory of any sort is tough, almost unbreakable stuff. Find some with few or no knots to ensure your chances of an acutal shooting bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:24:32 pm »
I'd rough it out a little more and put it away to dry after sealing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Steele

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna rough it in some more, seal it, and strap it down. I'm also gonna collect some more staves though. I have 100 acres of woods to work with. I also have about 20 straight black locust posts hanging in the barn that were used to hang tobacco from 20 years ago so they are well seasoned.

Offline Justin Steele

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »
 I'm also gonna collect some sinew and turkey feathers and try to find some good wood for arrows. Anyone suggestions on wood in west Virginia?