Author Topic: Low elevation yew  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Badger

Low elevation yew
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:47 pm »
  I got some low elevation low ring count yew from Brian here recently. I have alwasy heard that low ring count yew was junk. Not quite as dense as high ring count but I just built it by mass and was really pleased with the results. The picture doesn't show the r/d as much as it should when I put the finish on I will repost a better pic. 53#@28"  started with 2" reflex and finished with 1 1/4" reflex. I left the tips a bit wide and will narrow them more after I do some overlays. Very good shooting bow, I didn't chrono it but it shoots right with the best of mine. I will definitely be looking for more low ring count in the future, it is a lot more economical and seems to behave just as well as the high elevation. I didn't chase a ring on the back just to see how it would hold, I used the ring right under the bark and filed off the high spots leaving a lot of violations, ring count is around 14 per inch.

Offline Badger

Re: Low elevation yew
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
second pic

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:10 pm »
3rd pic

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »
last

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »
Nice looking stick. I bet that will really sparkle when you finish it!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »
Glad it turned out for you, can't wait to see the other set you got....you making a longbow from the other set?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »
  Brian, I just spliced up the other set of billets a few minutes ago. 71" long is all I can get so will try for about 70# if I can get it. Hoping for at least 60#. Won't be able to get on it before monday.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »
Great to see a bow from you Steve. 

I have several staves of what i'd call "mid" elevation Yew (about 500-800 ft).  This is inspiring.  If it shoots up there with your other bows than we know its fast.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »
I like your bow, simple and a  nice tiller, good to know the rules aren't too fixed...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:15 pm »
Love the bend on that. would like to see the finished too once its done
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:26:37 pm »
Badger,

Hope you get it good luck! I can't wait to see the pics!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 10:37:44 pm »
Steve, that is a good looking bow. Brian has sent me a few pieces of that ol' cheap Yew over the years and has convinced me. This may be a coincidence but I have broke less Yew bows from low elevation Yew than the high dollar stuff. I think the same thing holds true, to me anyway when you hear talk about Osage with thick or thin growth rings. I've made some screamers out of thin ringed Osage nobody else wanted.

I tried to talk Brian into shipping me your log and then I'd bring it to you at the Classic ::) he said,,,, no. ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:12:55 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »
sweet fast bend right there...nice to see youve been busy again with the wood...looks like retirement is treating you good :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:04 pm »
Looks good Badger! Nice reflex shape.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:22 am »
Nice bow Steve. Good to know there is another good bow wood out there. I guess we don't really know about any wood for bows until we try it. The experts have been wrong before!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC