Author Topic: new to primitive archery  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Dclarke

new to primitive archery
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:22 am »
Hello all

My name is Doug and I am new to Primitive archery. This is just my second post.
I am a PE teacher in Central NY just north of Syracuse. A couple of years ago I was certified as a basic instructor through the NASP program. I have taught archery in my classes since then.
I have become interested in making my own bow. I will have very many questions in the near future and have been learning as much as I can from this site.
I would like to cut some wood for staves and I would like to know what you would suggest as good bow woods that can be gathered from the Central NY area. (please remember that I am a complete newbie when it comes to this!) ;)
Also while I wait for that wood to cure i would take any suggestions to where I could get some seasoned staves to start my first bow.
Thank you in advance

Doug

blackhawk

Re: new to primitive archery
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:04 pm »
Welcome to PA ...your in the right and bestest of places here ;)

The top woods in your area to look for to get started is hophornbeam,elm,hickory,black locust,and some of the lessers in my opinion wood be any of the oaks,white ash.

Any one of those woods mentioned besides black locust,you just peel the bark off and thats the back of your bow. And youll have to chase a heartwood ring on black locust if you cut that. But anything you cut now you can be shooting a month later by reducing it to a stiff floor tiller,and setting it in a warm dry place for a month to cure. And in the meantime you can go cut some more wood cus your gonna need it cus making bows is worse and more addicting than crack.

Some folks will say go buy a red oak or hickory board and blah blah blah..lol :laugh:..ill let those who are all for that explain it

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »
You have certainly come to the right place.
Have a look at my website and bowyers diary (google Delsbows or Bowyers Diary to find them)
Tons of info on the there, but biased towards the English longbow and Uk timbers.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »
Welcome Doug,I think you will like it here,can't help much on the wood,I live in TN.
But as stated above that sounds about right and I feel sure you will get some good advice here. :) Keep us updated on your progess. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »
Welcome to PA doug. Ask all the questions you come up with and someone will surely give you an answer.  Also check out George Tsoukalas' website. It is at the top of the "How To" page. George is a retired teacher and has a pretty extensive site for beginners and seasoned bowyers.
  The woods that Blackhawk listed all are good bow woods and all grow in your area I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dclarke

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I am really excited to be here.
Blackhawk thanks for the list of types of wood I guess I have to get started on learning to identify my native trees.
Del I'll check out your site later, our school has filters that don't let us see personnal pages sometimes so I'll have to do that at home.
I have read posts from a lot of you guys and know you know your way around here a little
Thank you all again much appreciated!

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:58:45 pm »
Doug there ain't nothing wrong with board bows. One reason for building your own
is you don't have to listen to anyone less you want to. The TBB's are great references
and they embrace the concept of building wood bows, not just stave bows.When you
have built a few you can decide for yourself.
Welcome.

Lane

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »
Welcome Doug ! Always an empty seat around this fire. I've a couple of staves of Hickory from New York. Fine wood. Will be watching for your post and don't forget to take pictures of them staves you cut to post here. We LOVE stave pictures here ! ! .... '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
Welcome Doug!
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »
Welcome, Doug.  You screwed up joining this site :o ::) :D ;) You'll get plenty of help and I'm sure a stave from someone to start yournew addiction. Everybody here is a "pusher man". :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dclarke

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:02 am »
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome
I have purchased a couple of books to help start me out.
"The Art of Making Self Bows" by Stim Wilcox and "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock
I hope these two  books are good ones...
If the weather cooperates I may take a walk in the woods this weekend.
The leaves have not really popped out yet so my weak identification skills will be put to the test.
Just very eager to get started!
I think I am feeling feverish!  :P

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
Welcome to the addiction, Doug! Glad to have you. In addition to the books you mentioned, there are great build-a-longs on this site and others that walk you step by step through the building process. I have been working with boards, primarily, so far, which has been great training for me since staves are hard to come by where I am. I do have a few that I am waiting on to dry, though. If you can get your hands on a hickory or hard maple board with straight grain, that would be a good start. Even red oak or ash will work, but don't seem to be quite as forgiving to me. Good luck in your endeavor and hope to see some of your work on here soon!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 11:59:44 am »
Welcome man...  ;)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:59 pm »
"The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock

I recommend this to anyone starting out. It made a world of difference in my stuff after I got it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.