Author Topic: Snake skin question  (Read 1258 times)

Offline hook

Snake skin question
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »
Last year I killed a yellow timber rattler. I wanted to keep the skin because....well you know why, it looks good on a bow.
I wasn't quite sure how to preserve it so I solicted the advice of a local. He brought me some 20 mule team borax and told me to mix it with a little salt.
I pinned the hide to a board and put the salt/borax mixture on it and it dried quickly.
    KICKER:
I was talking to a knife maker today and he said when borax gets wet it turns REALLY acidic.

QUESTION:
Do I want to wet this skin down and put it on my bow?
Its going over a rawhide backing if that matters any.....

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Snake skin question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:26 pm »
When it comes time to put it on the bow, give it several good washes and soaks in fresh water.  Snake skin is pretty thin stuff until you start skinning 12 foot pythons.  I think you should be able to leach out plenty of the borax.  After all, you gotta get it wet and pliable to put it on the bow, just a little more time prepping the hide and it should do fine!

Good luck, and you know the rest....post pics!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:31:20 am »
You will have to remove the borax and salt by soaking like JW suggested.   When you get your next snake skin just staple it to a boardflesh side up and scrape off the ecxess tissue and fat. Then place it in direct sunlight for a day or so and it will be dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hook

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »
thanks guys