Author Topic: crooked arrow experiment PICS UP!!!  (Read 4953 times)

Offline jermcramp1

crooked arrow experiment PICS UP!!!
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:45 pm »
I hate making arrows  >:(

I just finished 10 bamboo arrows. I straightened 5 as best I could, and left the other 5 semi crooked. They are 32" long with duplex nails and CU shells, sinew wrapped coated with superglue.

I left 2 arrows without tips, and have 11 trad points I made in fore shafts, which will be what I hunt with. I figure those 2 boo shafts will outlast all 11 fore shafts. (these 2 shafts are the straightest ones.)

This was the lightest so it took a bit of wrapping, and it is pretty crooked.

All foreshafts, and nails+shells weigh the same (All I have is a crude balance scale so I don't know exactly what they weigh, a little heavier than a zwickey)

All arrows with nail/shell tips, and arrows with foreshaft inserted, weigh the same (or pretty darn close) and have the same balance point.

I wrapped the shafts with art sinew to move foc balance point to equal spot on all shafts, and bring up the weight to match, and then heated the wrap to melt the wax on the art sinew to get a smooth surface of the wrap.

So with 4 crooked arrows and 4 straightened ones, shooting with my 47@28", 72" pecan silk backed self bow I just finished, when shot at random, all arrows are on the circle at 20yds. When shot separate, the crooked arrows are only slightly more erratic...

I just winged it with the fletch shapes with scissors, and I tried to dye them red after they were on already, kinda looks like I tried to fake blood...

No where near Mr. Ferguson or Mr. Hill, but the furthest shot possible from my pit blind is 16 yds...

I was very surprised how well the crooked arrows performed. I was expecting some serious deviation in flight patterns.

I really do not enjoy making arrows.

My first 10 min fishing tips, Im not so sure they will work...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:19:14 pm by jermcramp1 »
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: crooked arrow experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07:54 pm »
WHERE"S THE PIX MAN!  Get em as straight as you can and shoot em is my philosophy.  Unless they are for someone else, then I try a little harder.  ;)  I wasn't gonna say it, but I'm no perfectionist.  My wife says perfevtion is over rated.  Anywho, WHERE"S THE PIX MAN! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
If the tips and nocks line up your good. Every boo shaft I have wobbles all over between those two points. Good luck getting them pipe straight!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
If the tips and nocks line up your good. Every boo shaft I have wobbles all over between those two points. Good luck getting them pipe straight!

;D ;D ;D ;D
wild women don't get the blues

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
Sorry y'all I'll post some tonight.

Offline jermcramp1

Re: crooked arrow experiment PICS UP!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:33 am »
pics up

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »
How did you make those fishing tips?
I like 'em
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »
3" pieces of all-thread, sharpened on one end, tapered to fit in the boo shaft on the other end, drilled a hole at an angle to the tip and bent a finish nail through it. then ground the threads off the center " and drilled a hole for the string to tie on.

You can kinda see the angle of the nail and the center holes. I havent tried them but I'm not too confident in the design...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »
It may not stay stuck, but I bet it kills the fish no problem. If ya get energetic you can heat the nodes up over your stove and roll the shaft between two pieces of board to round them off some and straighten them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:07:24 pm »
I like how you did your foreshafts.  Thanks for the pics. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:27 am »
Is there a tutorial on making the foreshafts?  Mine never line up.  I use a skinny piece of bamboo inserted into a large piece.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
Ya know I looked and looked for a tutorial but couldn't find one for just the foreshafts, I had so much trouble getting them straight and whatnot.

I just used a hardwood dowel from Lowes, and I used the bit that I drilled the end of the boo with to drill a hole in a 1"x3" block as a foreshaft tapering guide, so I cram the foreshaft into the block hole and it indents the areas that need to be shaved down, and it compresses the foreshaft insert.

I can do a little build along tomorrow a.m. if you want...I'm more visual anyway

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »
I dont use foreshafts anymore for that reason Jeremy. I grind a taper on them and glue points on, or slit it with my band saw and haft bh's on. Never had one break yet.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:13 pm »
You stuff the boo with a skewer or something? it sure is a pain with the foreshafts for sure.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »
I do nothing more than taper them and glue points on.  Just like a dowelled shaft.