Author Topic: iroquois hunting bow  (Read 7880 times)

Offline blackpanem

iroquois hunting bow
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:28:37 am »
the order of the arrow, which is an organization based off service, has these ceremonies that they dress up as native americans and do special ceremonies, and this one requires a bow and arrow. i recently have been inducted into the OA and was in that very ceremony when they pulled out the bow i was blinded. they use a BRIGHT RED carbon bow with neon orange target arrows. so i emailed the head of our lodge and asked him what tribe we represent and we are the iroquois, so i ask, what would an iroquois bow look like? i figure im doing them a huge favor because they get all dressed up in great recreations of everything except the bow and arrows.

Offline blackpanem

Re: iroquois hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:29:43 am »
i managed to forget to ask what kind of wood would be used?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:34:17 am »
You got access to the Alley & Hamm 'Encyclopedia of Native American Bows...'? On page 62 is an Iroquois bow Hickory. There are also some drawings of Iroquois arrows.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:01 am »
I would guess hickory or maybe hop hornbeam for their bows and red osier or viburnum for the arrows. Maybe Rich(Halfeye) will chime in. He know the bows from the northern parts of Eastern US quite well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:50 am »
I am undergoing my OA ordeal in a few weeks,(2nd offer) it sounds like a lot of fun, I will contact my scoutmaster about the ceremonies, the only one I have ever seen was the crossing over ceremony which was very accurate, I think the same guy comes for all the ceremonies.
But I hope you can fix that neon bow problem once and for all. 8)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:10:29 am »
Probably a good idea to take a closer look at the rest of the outfit too. Good chance it is just as  inauthentic.
 I see plenty of ostrich and peacock feathers and even hula hoops at supposed native gatherings.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:20:09 am »
Im oa and never got a bow man i feel shorted by the brotherhood :-[
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:08 am »
BP, if you send me your email address I'l send you a few different Iroquois bow pics from the museums....there seems to be quite a size difference in authenticated bows all the way from 6 feet down to the 50" range. Also the term Iroquois is applied to all of the various tribes of the 6 nations as a language group.
rich

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »
I have not thought about the brotherhood or OA for many moons thank you for the pleasant memory jog !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
Is the sash still white with a large red arrow? Mine is so old who knows what they look like now-a-days.
rich

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
Mine is but that was early ninetys ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »
half eye, yes they are still red with white arrows

Offline robby

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:09 pm »
blackpanem, The Boyer's bible, I think volume one, has pictures of Iroquoian bows. Mostly they were hickory, some quite ornamental, just resist the temptation to carve a False face. There are many today that still put store in that. I made a few of them, one is of a type that has scallops running down one side with holes to tie on things like scalp locks, feathers, and such. You wouldn't it would shoot to look at it, but it shoots fine. It is still being used by the Keepers of the Fire from what I understand. If you buy the book you not only get the pictures, but information on how to make a good shootable bow, and just possibly the seed that may grow into a lifetime of enjoyment. Good luck, it sounds like a very worthwhile project.
Robby