Author Topic: darkening leather  (Read 8161 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

darkening leather
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:07:05 am »
Hey fellas
Need some help. Recently made a new hunting knife. The sheath is rawhide that I wet, laid over the the blade, let dry, and cut to fit.
I covered that in the only leather that I had, which is very light in color. I want to give it a tan to light brown look.
It is fringed on one side and I don't want it (the fringe) to stiffen.
Stain, smoke, any Ideas?
Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Adam

Re: darkening leather
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »
I darkened some light leather by using the same beeswax/deer fat mix I use on my bows.  I found it worked best to warm the leather in the oven (when my wife wasn't home) then rub the melted mixture over the leather.  It took about 3 coats to make it uniform.  It was splotchy at first because the hot wax penetrates more than when it cools down as you rub it on.  I put the leather back in the oven when I was done and then rubbed it down by hand.  It actually made the leather a little more supple, probably because of the fat in the mixture.  I've also tried paste wax and tung oil, but they didn't darken the leather enough for my liking.  Hope that helps.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »
I usually use Montana Pitch Blend on leather although home made treatment like Adam suggests works well too. It will darken the leather some but not too much. Over time it will darken more. I hand rub the treatment into the leather and let the friction heat help the treatment sink into the leather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
I usually use Montana Pitch Blend on leather although home made treatment like Adam suggests works well too. It will darken the leather some but not too much. Over time it will darken more. I hand rub the treatment into the leather and let the friction heat help the treatment sink into the leather.

Pat
That would be pitch and lard/grease,etc...?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
You can also use the wife's hair dryer to help any oil/wax mixture penetrate the leather.  I found out the hard way once that it doesn't take long to overdo it in the oven, even on low heat.

Any oil can darken the leather quite a bit, so you may want to try it on a small sample piece first.  Linseed oil on veg-tanned leather (which is almost white) will make it a fairly dark brown once it saturates the leather evenly.  If you want something lighter, you might be better off picking up some lighter colored leather stain.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »
I use neetsfoot oil to darken and condition leather.  Just like they do in the big leagues (baseball gloves). 

Russ

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »
Walnut hulls will darken it too.  Either straight or made into a liquid. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:33:17 am »
Okie, Montana Pitch Blend is a commercial product that is made from bees wax, mink oil and pine pitch I think. I have started playing with pitch and bear grease for leather treatment but don't have it to the consistancy I want. I may have to add bees wax to give it more body. Rich, Halfeye, uses a similar concoction on his bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:39 am »
For what it's worth, here's a before and after picture using 50/50 beeswax/deer fat.  The darkened piece was done over a year ago.  I was concerned when I first did it that it would fade, but so far, so good.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:17 am »
Thanks for the help y'all.
All is appreciated.

Ron