Author Topic: Two big booms  (Read 3982 times)

Offline PeteC

Two big booms
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »
Thought I'd share these with y'all.I have'nt broke one in a couple of years ,but here are 2 back to back explosions. Both broke on the tiller board while micro-tweaking the tiller.The reflexed piece broke at 25"about 55#,the straight one broke a few minutes ago at 26" at 58#.I was already shooting these and the tiller was right on with both. They were both tension failures. Both broke in very clean areas,with no knots,or trouble spots. My only guess is that they were too dry.I suspected as much with the reflexed piece,because even after being worked to 26",it had lost no reflex at all during tillering and shoot-in.The snakey piece that broke today had set about 5/8" and was being exercised to 27".I guess last summers drought brought more consequences than expected. ;D.You just never know.The first six  built from this same batch of osage made bows.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Two big booms
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »
Thats tough Pete.

I guess it can happen to anybody.

I do remember Tim Baker mentioning that Osage get brittle in dry climates (more severely than other woods do).

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:26 pm »
Two in a row, man that's though.
You are going to be as jittery as hell next time you get the next one on the tiller.
Maybe give yourself an easy one to get back on the horse, something long and floppy ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »
that's ruff, guess it can happen to anyone, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »
Gosh, Pete. I hate to see that. Glad to hear you got some good ones out of the batch first, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:39 pm »
wood has a way of lettin ya know who's boss, eh? sorry ya lost yer work into them, but I do have to say that one is a right proper 'splosion >:D  You'll get 'em next time!!!!
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:54:18 pm »
That's tough, just happened to me, too. Put them on the saw and make a takedown bow out of them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:20 pm »
That's tough, just happened to me, too. Put them on the saw and make a takedown bow out of them.
I was just about to suggest the same thing... but wait til it gets a little less dry outside first!  Sorry to see that Pete.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:17:27 pm »
My condolences Pete.    I like the takedown idea.  You've still got two good limbs!    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »
...or a z splice if you don't want to make a takedown! Just cut off the broken limbs leaving the handles full length and make a 4" z splice and you are back in business!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »
 :'( now you got em out of the way onward. And upward
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »
Thanks fellas.  Usually,in my part of the state,East Texas,I never have to worry about wood getting too dry.It's usually just the opposite,but that drought last summer was very different. Both of these pieces were 66" tip to tip,with  short handle sections,and a lot of working limb.       Del,you're right ,I was already jittery from the first one going off the other day.   Rich,they were both pretty loud when they gave out,Kaboom!      Eddie,I may look at splicing them and give it another try.If they'll hold together it will be one very fast bow.Both of these were screamers on their own. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23:38 am »
I would probably guess too dry also. That is some wicked snake in that one. Sucks that it broke.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 08:08:30 am »
 Sorry that's to bad,looks dry but hard to tell from the pictures, to wet is always the problem here in Tennessee. Take down is a good option,been there /done that. ;) :) Also I have added a wet rag or small bucket of water to my hot box if I fear things are getting to dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:37 am »
Thats a couple of tough breaks there  :(  I like the takedown idea though.  Just the opposite of what I had happen last spring.  Too humid and two of my bows failed in compression the same day.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit