Author Topic: Black Locust flatbow rat snake backed....finished pics  (Read 10820 times)

Offline druid

Re: Black Locust flatbow rat snake backed....finished pics
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 08:16:15 am »
Very nice work. Is this skin longlasting under bad weather?

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 09:59:24 am »
You did a excellent job on that bow, Colton. I'm very proud to see how far you've came from your first. Not only did I gain a building partner, I too have gained a friend. It was awesome to see your dad's face when you gave it to him. I could instantly tell how proud he was. He knew you put your heart into it. Congratulations on a beautiful bow..... one thing I might add is it " shoots like a dream"...... that's what's most important! The rest is eye candy.

Jon

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:54 pm »
Proud.is only one of the words you can say to describe my son.no one could have a better son than this.the bow he made for me was wonderful.had no idea he was even making it.and when he was showing this to me and i read my name on it.that just took my breath away.he done a really nice job on this bow.looks great.Love you Colton.I want to thank my good friend jon h.he's the one that mentored colton and done a really good job. you are truly a good friend.love you buddy.Thank to everyone that commented on this post.your words mean allot.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:54 pm »
That's a very nice bow.Your dad ought to like it. Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Will H

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13:58 pm »
Great work! The skins match the bow perfectly and the tiller looks spot on :) well done!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
That is sweet !
The only question I have is can I be your dad ?!!!
Good job !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:44:04 pm »
As you could tell the last post under my name was my dad... Mentioning that I could ask for a better father he has always been here for me and everything I know I owe it to him!!! I really can't put into words how much he means to me. And thank you to all of you who have commented on it I wouldn't trade the art of bow building for anything it is an addiction a sickness and a cure for anything and I enjoy every minute of it and I also want to say thanks to jon h. (straightarrow) once again you are a great friend and I can't thank you enough for helping me make this bow possable for my dad...

And for the question that was asked about the durability of the snake skins... They have 10 coats of true oil over them so I would say they are as durable as the rest of the bow but I have yet to find out for sure but as u may know snake skins are not to add weight to the bow they are only for looks they have nothing to do with strength but as for durrability I would say they would hold there own... if anybody know anything diff feel free to post   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 11:58:26 pm »
Beautiful bow, Colton. I dream of making a black locust bow like this...then I wake up to reality!  ;) You did an excellent job of tillering and she holds a beautiful unbraced profile. That says a lot about the builder.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:40 am »
thanks pat b at first i didnt know if the tiller would ever come around it was a tillering nightmare do to prop twist
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:02:03 am by cwbuchanan »

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:49 am »
Tillering a prop twisted bow can be especially challenging. You did very well reading the bends. You got a good eye for it

Jon

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 12:28:14 am »
Great lookin' bow,nice detail on tips and grip.Nice pics,I'd be proud of that one-Hammertime

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 01:14:50 am »
thanks straightarrow and hammertime it was challenging and i wasnt to sure if it would turn out but with a lil tender lovin care it came through

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 10:39:04 am »
Very pretty bow,great job.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
Really pretty bow and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside as you and your dad express your love for one another. Great job all around.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cougarbob

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
wow colton that is a awsome job you did on that bow love the grain on your tips just beautiful you really got a great bow there                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  cougar Bob