Author Topic: draw knIfe find  (Read 4698 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
draw knIfe find
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »
I was just in our local Tractor Supply Co store and found 10 inch draw knives from TIMBER TUFF tools on the clearance rack for 6.99 each. Original price 27.99 each. They only had 3 and i bought them all. They look well made and fairly heavy. Thought some of you guys might want to check out yor local TSC strore. ;D
Steve Bennett

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: draw knIfe find
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:36:11 pm »
I just checked with them online, & they do have it listed as a clearance item for $6.99. I checked by phone at the stores in my area, and none of them have the item, but I agree with turtle, that looks like a great buy if your local store has one.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
I just took the blade protector off one of them and its not very sharp. Will have to be sharpened before use, but for 7 bucks im still pleased.
Steve Bennett

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »
Better check with some of the more experienced guys. I don't have much experience with my draw knife, yet, but I read somewhere on here that sometimes a dull one works better for some jobs.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:23 am »
Don't like mine to sharp, infact it is a old drawknife that I have never sharpened. I also use mine up-side-down for more control. Ben building many yrs..

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:24 am »
Vinemaple, when you say upsidedown do you mean bevel side up or down? In my opinion (been using drawknives and blade tools, chisels, planes and carving tools  for more than 35 years now) flat side up and bevel side down IS the proper way to use a drawknife. If you use it bevel side up, you are using it upside down and asking for many control, splitting, wood chunking problems. I have seen people on Youtube using drawknives with the bevel side up (Billy Birtle?) and I want to yell TURN YOUR KNIVE OVER, YOU ARE SHOWING PEOPLE HOW TO USE IT WRONG. Then I hear people complain about how useless drawknives are. There are only rare instances where bevel side up is a useful way to use a drawknife (chasing a ring may be one but I have not ever chased a ring on a stave yet so please correct me if I am wrong) And I have read where a DULL drawknife is more useful for chasing a ring and I can understand why. But with a really sharp drawknife, I can curl as fine a shaving off a piece of wood as a finely set spokeshave.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:08 am »
..., and none of them have the item...
That's 'cos Turtle bought 'em all >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline IDreamofOsage

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:36:27 am »
Thanks for the heads up.  ;) I picked up all four of them at my local TSC yesterday evening. Seem pretty heavy compared to the ones I'm used to using. The only thing I seen wrong with them was the made in China sticker. But for seven dollars I'm not gonna complain. Thanks again.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:51 am »
$7. sounds like a real good deal--even 'cheap' isn't going to wear out any time soon.
Sharp or dull, upside down or right side up, there always seems to be a situation to accomodate the tool.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:27 am »
Randman, I will respectfully disagree with you. Bevel up or bevel down are both ways to use this tool. It depends on the job at hand. Bevel up is useful for me for vary fine shaving and paring, while bevel down is more for removing wood. Holding the knife with the handles facing away from you rather than toward you, and pushing rather than pulling, is how I like to do the fine work.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:16 am »
I always use my dknife bevel up. I keep my knives sharp. I use a stone. Keep the same bevel on one side and flat on the other. When I'm done using it I put a little oil on a paper towel and pass it over the metal parts. When finished I wrap it newspaper and put it in a  draw. That way it is protected. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »

@ IdreamofOsage : Your welcome. I just thought it was a good deal for anyone wanting a draw knife.

I actualy already had three. Two used ones from flea markets and one I made out of a broken leaf spring from a small truck. When hogging off a lot of wood i prefer the one i made. I think it works better cuz its real heavy. The ones from TSC arent as heavy as it is but are heavier than the used ones i have. I normally use dreaw knives bevel down, but sometimes flip it over for fine detail work.
Steve Bennett

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:07:24 pm »
I've seen those same drawknives at TSC...and Menards.  Had one.  It made me so mad I threw it in the bushes out behind the house.  Later went back, found it and threw it further back in the bushes!

The problem I had was that the steel was so soft that when I got an edge on the blade it would roll over while going thru pine!  I even changed the bevel angle to a 45 degree angle to stiffen it up and it still kept rolling over.  Eventually I splurged and bought a well made forged drawknife from Lee Valley Tools.  I've had it several months and all I need to do is strop it on a leather once in a while. 

Meanwhile, I hope yours are from better material and actually do some work for you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.