Author Topic: tension vs compression question?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline bushboy

tension vs compression question?
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
This may be a silly question,but I'm trying to figure out the relationship between the two and or the mechanics!say if a section of a limb is 1/2" thick @full draw on a working part of the bow what is the ratio between the two?would for example a 1/4" being in tension and 1/4" being in compression giving a 1:1 ratio?thx's bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: tension vs compression question?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:17 pm »
you would probably have to be a physicist type to work that out, but I believe there ia a neatral plane where the wood is neither stretched or compressed and that must be at the mid way point, like you say, split the limb 50/50.  But this is probably a simplification, this would likely change with different woods and arcs of bend. Not much help,.... but interesting question,.. dont realy think it would help much in making wooden bows though, even if you new ;D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Barrage

Re: tension vs compression question?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »
Depends on the properties of the materials and cross section of the bending limb; you will have varying percentages of tension / compression based on these.  However, tension will be greatest at the back and get progressively less as you move towards the neutral plane and compression will be greatest at the belly and get progressively less as you move towards the neutral plane,
Travis